coreutils

Re: switching from wtmp to wtmpdb

From: Thorsten Kukuk
Subject: Re: switching from wtmp to wtmpdb
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 06:02:04 +0000

Hi,

On Thu, Jun 29, Pádraig Brady wrote:

> > Did you already have similar discussions on Fedora/Redhat side about
> > replacing wtmp?
> > It seems the utilities pinky, uptime, last, and users are affected.
>
> I have not heard about or looked into the wtmp Y2038 issue.
>
> Thanks for the info.

Some background about this:
https://www.thkukuk.de/blog/Y2038_glibc_utmp_64bit/
https://www.thkukuk.de/blog/Y2038_glibc_wtmp_64bit/
https://www.thkukuk.de/blog/Y2038_glibc_lastlog_64bit/

procps-ng plans to support logind as utmp replacement with the next
release (4.0.4)
shadow: https://ikerexxe.github.io/idm/2023/06/14/Y2038-problem-in-shadow.html
util-linux plans to solve all Y2038 problems including utmp/lastlog with the
next release:
https://github.com/util-linux/util-linux/pull/2168#issuecomment-1510968063
util-linux (lastlog):
https://github.com/util-linux/util-linux/pull/2164#issuecomment-1580331283
util-linux (utmp): https://github.com/util-linux/util-linux/pull/2100

The biggest "blocker" for replacing utmp with logind currently is, that you
need
systemd v254, which is not yet released.

Since wtmpdb as wtmp replacement is a PAM module, no code changes to any
project are necessary. So there was no real discussion yet.

  Thorsten

--
Thorsten Kukuk, Distinguished Engineer, Senior Architect, Future Technologies
SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH, Frankenstraße 146, 90461 Nuernberg,