coreutils

Re: GNU Coding Standards, automake, and the recent xz-utils backdoor

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: GNU Coding Standards, automake, and the recent xz-utils backdoor
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 16:49:54 -0500

I'm also wondering whether the GNU system should recommend using zstd
instead of or in addition to xz for compression purposes.  Automake
gained support for dist-zstd back in 2019 [1], but I'm not sure how
many projects are using it yet.

[1] https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/automake.git/commit/?id=5c466eaf

For several years, GraphicsMagick distributed a tarball compressed to zstd format.  This started before Automake offered support for it.

I used these rules:

# Rules to build a .tar.zst tarball (zstd compression)
dist-zstd: distdir
    tardir=$(distdir) && $(am__tar) | ZSTD_CLEVEL=$${ZSTD_CLEVEL-22} zstd --ultra -c >$(distdir).tar.zst
    $(am__post_remove_distdir)

With these options, the zst tarball came withing a hare's breath of the xz compressed file size.  I did not find any drawbacks.

I also had good experience with 'lzip', which has the benefit of a very small implementation and more compact coding than xz uses.

I stopped distributing anything but xz format since that is what almost everyone was choosing to download.

Bob

--
Bob Friesenhahn
bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us, http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/