Re: [Debian-sf-devel] Future functionality questions...

From: Roland Mas
Subject: Re: [Debian-sf-devel] Future functionality questions...
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 20:26:46 +0100

Eric D Nielsen (2001-12-27 12:22:11 -0500) :

Short answers for now, I'm in a bit of a hurry.  Don't hesitate to
bitch at me for the long answers after Wednesday.  Don't consider
these to be definitive answers, and try to see what I mean by them.

> Dear all,

[...]

> First the questions:
> 1)  Will you be willing to accept non-bug related
> patches/enhancements?

  Probably, depending on how specific they are.

> 2) Are additions to the schema acceptable?  (Ie if my features
> require a new table or two is that fine?)

  Same answer.  If it provides an obscure feature to a small subset of
users, probably not, in other cases probably yes.

> 3) What general guideline should I follow?  I'm planning that if a
> installation choses not to use my features there should be no change
> from the current installation.  Anything else?

  The best way I can think of for now would be to first patch the
code, to add hooks in it, and then provide your added features as
modules (only new files, no patches necessary for existing ones).  I'm
not sure it can be done for everything, though.

> Here's the feature set:
> 1) Improved Foundries:

  I'm still not sure how exactly foundries work, so I can't answer
this one.

> 2) Security Granularity

  This one sounds interesting, and we'll probably investigate it.

  In any case, I would like to get a statement from VA.  If they admit
they won't release the new code, then we are a fork and I'll take
patches.  If they promise they'll release the code soon, then I'd
rather keep maintaining a Debian package while the upstream code is
taken care of upstream.

  Have a nice weekend all (and parties),

Roland.
--
Roland Mas

Il vaut mieux insulter une commode Louis XV qu'une armoire à glace.