Re: [Debian-sf-devel] Quick fix to apache-modssl for SF2.6

From: Roland Mas
Subject: Re: [Debian-sf-devel] Quick fix to apache-modssl for SF2.6
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 16:01:02 +0100

Jeremy Gwinnup (2002-01-29 09:23:40 -0500) :

[...]

> When I did the first clean install off of Christian's SF2.6-0+5 package,
> it bombed when trying to restart apache... I poked around the logs, and
> I found that apache was complaining about the certificate in the apache
> error log:

[...]

Yep.  There's a debconf warning when you install Sourceforge, telling
you exactly this:

,----
| Template: sourceforge/mod_ssl_cert
| Type: note
|  You need a valid SSL/TLS certificate to run Sourceforge.
|  If you don't already have one, you'll have to run the
|  "mod-ssl-makecert" command to generate one, and restart Apache
|  afterwards.
|  .
|  Please note you will not be able to start Apache if you have no
|  such certificate.
`----

  It's supposed to be on priority "high", so it should have been
displayed unless you configured your server to only display "critical"
priority debconf notes and questions.  If that is the case, you're
supposed to know what you're doing ;-)

> So I poked around a little more, and I found that the default package
> certificate is usually junk, so I dug up instructions on how to make a
> new one. Here's what I did (mostly):

[...]

  You shouldn't have had to do all that.  The libapache-mod-ssl should
provide a mod-ssl-makecert command, that does it for you.

Roland.
--
Roland Mas

Using a big hammer without caution can cause big damage.
  -- PostgreSQL documentation, chapter 42