Re: [Debian-sf-devel] 2.6-0+6 available

From: Eric D Nielsen
Subject: Re: [Debian-sf-devel] 2.6-0+6 available
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 13:05:39 -0500

I couldn't tell if you have a solution for the extending database issue, or
were looknig for one....

I've almost finished a working prototype "module" system to solve the
extending the database problem.

Ie each module has its its own sub-directory in www/module/ where it lives
the module have their own postgres database, if they need to store data
not already in the sourceforge database.  There is one "module" level
additional databases that tracks which modules have been installed for
administration purposes.

Modules can also have patch file associated with them that is used to hold the
additional "hooks/redirects" to add the necassarily links from existing pages
to the module.

I've taken the above patch approach, because the number of hooks that would be
needed is so large that is isn't worth it at this time to go though the base
code and add all them in.

If this approach sounds good, it would be useful if the upgrade doesn't touch/
destroy the www/module directory and (optionally) reran the patches found in
that directory to reapply the hooks....

Eric Nielsen