[Debian-sf-devel] Re: Sourceforge book authors

From: Roland Mas
Subject: [Debian-sf-devel] Re: Sourceforge book authors
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 18:26:01 +0100

[Debian-SF people: read on and get involved :-)]

Susan Capparelle (2002-02-13 17:55:47 -0500) :

> Hi Roland,

Hello,

> I was given your name by Joe Stewart who suggested you might be one of
> the right people to contact.
>
> We're a publisher of high quality computer books currently seeking
> an author, or authors, to write a book that would cover using
> sourceforge from a developer's standpoint and as an
> administrator. Can you recommend anyone with the necessary skill and
> experience to undertake a project like this?

  Depending on what you mean by "undertake a project like this", I
could mention a few people.

  Possibly the most qualified person would be Tim Perdue.  He's one of
the founders of the Sourceforge project, and he probably is the one
with the most experience about Sourceforge, from all points of view:
Sourceforge developer, Sourceforge user, Sourceforge administrator,
etc.

  Then there are a few people developing a new version of Sourceforge.
You might know that VA Linux Systems (now VA Software) has apparently
stopped distributing Sourceforge to the public.  At least two groups
of people have decided to continue the trend.

  The Savannah people are somewhat reimplementing the software (even
if not completely from scratch).  If you aim at Sourceforge-likes and
not only Sourceforge, you might want to get in touch with them, more
specifically Guillaume Morin and Loïc Dachary.

  The Debian-SF people maintain a version of Sourceforge that is
evolving from the last version released by VA, specifically targetted
for the Debian system (a Debian package, designed to be installed
automatically).  Among these people are myself (I initiated this
project), Christian Bayle, and other contributors such as Eric Nielsen
and Justin Richer who are actively developing extensions for the
existing code.

  I have a limited amount of time to spend on Debian-SF, so I would
probably not be able to write such a book all by myself.  On the other
hand, I'd like to get involved in this project.  Maybe writing a
chapter, maybe helping out as a consultant or reference, maybe
proof-reading and offering advice...  Maybe translating it into French
(since I'm French)...

  To contact the above people (and others):

- Tim Perdue <address@hidden>;
- Savannah people: <address@hidden>;
- Debian-SF people: <address@hidden> (I Cc:
  them list on this message).

  Good luck with this project, and keep me informed, especially if you
need help (repeat: I will probably not be the main author).

Roland.
--
Roland Mas

You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.
  -- in the tunefs manual page.