Re: [Debian-sf-devel] Introduction

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: Re: [Debian-sf-devel] Introduction
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 13:26:44 -0700 (PDT)

--- Roland Mas <address@hidden> wrote:
> James Michael DuPont (2002-06-17 05:07:44 -0700) :
>
> > It is very difficult to automate the interfaces
> into sourceforge and
> > savannah. On things that I hope to get out of the
> coopx project is
> > to be able to exchange data with sourceforge and
> savannah for
> > project maintaince.
>
>   That's the main goal of Coopx, I think.
Yes, I have met with Michael Erdmann who I have cced
and we have talked about this. The Coopx is in the
first line repository of the entire package.

> > I would like to be able to import my sourceforge
> project into
> > savannah from the sourceforge xml dumps, also the
> bug statuss from
> > my automatic testing scripts. A perl interface to
> the entire
> > sourceforge/savannah project would be great.
>
>   Depends what you'd want it to do, but I guess it
> can't hurt.  On an
> implementation point, though, writing it in PHP
> might be simpler,
> since you could cut and paste from the already
> written scripts.
Yes, for the XML export I will do that, and for
anything that is done in php that can be used I will
do that.
I have never used php, but my perl is very good.
the introspector project contains alot of code for
dumping XML into a postgres database. I can reuse alot
of it.

> > Also the usage of SOAP/XML-RPC over Jabber/SMTP as
> described in
> > JABBer in the middleware :
> > http://dizzyd.manilasites.com/discuss/msgReader$15
>
>   I tend to prefer CORBA over XML-based protocols,
> but it's probably a
> question of personal preference.

Well corba is good, but I have never used it, only
read about it. can you recomend it for this
application?
I was alway scared at the vendor lockin on the API
leve and the price of the commercial implementations.
I have done some tests with XMLRPC and it is very
easy.

Just for the point, if my sourceforge is not running
all the time, a SMTP, jabber or message queue would be
great for handling updates across a dialup connection.

XML in a signed or encrypted datagram would be an
ideal transport.

>Besides, it seems
> I won't be
> involved in implementing things so I have no call
> there.
Well I am not cutting anyone out. My issue is that
sourceforge is not providing the interfaces that I
need as user, savannah is still in the works.

Do you think that anything done here will be usable in
savannah?

>   You can import your CVS tree, that's step 1.  Just
> grab your tarball
> and extract it in your appropriate
> /var/lib/sourceforge/chroot/cvsroot
> directory.
OK i will try that.

>   As for your bugs, support requests, patches,
> mailing-lists and other
> stuff, I really don't know.  That's the point of
> Coopx, and Coopx is
> still a proposal rather than a software, so I'm
> afraid I can't help
> much there.  Sorry.
OK, becuase what I talked to Michael Erdmann was that
I will try to export my project and we can see if this
experience will help the coopx project.

Thanks again for you help and please do tell me your
ideas for the implementation. If you find corba usable
and appropiate they I am willing to learn, just like
php.

Mike

=====
James Michael DuPont