[Debian-sf-devel] Plugins development branch

From: Roland Mas
Subject: [Debian-sf-devel] Plugins development branch
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 14:06:03 +0100

  Hi all,

  Yes, I know, I'm busy, I'm late, I'm sorry.  Not much has been done
by me on the plugins thing since last I spoke about it, but what
currently exists as an infrastructure has nevertheless been committed
to CVS.

  Now, in order not to break things on the main development tree, it's
been put on a separate CVS branch.  It's called "Branch_plugins", and
you can get it either by a "cvs checkout -r Branch_plugins" or by a
"cvs update -r Branch_plugins" in an already existing working copy.

  Currently implemented: a table containing a list of installed
plugins, a table for a list of "this group uses that plugin"
relations, one for "this user uses that plugin" relations, and a
usesPlugin() method for the User and Group classes (in PHP).  Still to
be done: a page listing all installed plugins, scripts to initialise
plugin_specific tables.

  I also have a beginning of a sample "helloworld" plugin, which I'll
probably put in a new CVS module, probably called
"sourceforge-plugin-helloworld" or something like that.  It's
currently not packaged at all (i.e. there's no way to install it on
your system other than copying the files by hand), but it shouldn't be
very hard and I'll work on it ASAP.

  As you may be aware, we (at Debian) are currently setting up a
Sourceforge server for Debian-related development.  This requires
slight modifications to the code, and some extra scripts, so that
Sourceforge can re-use already existing accounts and groups and not
overwrite them, so I'm also spending some time on that.  When it's
done, though, I expect all my Sourceforge mana will be devoted to
these plugins.  Unless Christian manages to get me on some other job
(he starts speaking about rewriting and/or cleaning the code, which
I'm also interested in...).

  Feel free to read, comment, and submit patches.  I'm not quite
up-to-date on the various comments that have already been done here.
If you submit patches, don't forget to mention that they are to be
applied in the Branch_plugins branch...

  Have fun,

Roland.
--
Roland Mas

Magic is one thing, and reflected-sound-of-underground-spirits is another.
  -- Twoflower, in The Colour of Magic (Terry Pratchett)