Re: [Debian-sf-devel] Re: Return of the Jedi

From: Steve Mallett
Subject: Re: [Debian-sf-devel] Re: Return of the Jedi
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 14:26:28 -0400

On Tuesday, December 3, 2002, at 01:59  PM, Tim Perdue wrote:

Roland Mas wrote:

  Don't get me wrong: there are absolutely no bad feelings between us
Debian-SF people and Tim.  He's one of us, he works on the same CVS
tree (although he doesn't feel confident enough to commit changes to
the trunk yet), we work together to port our packaging to the Gforge
branch, and his changes to our trunk, we all expect to be able to
merge the two branches sometime so that we only have one code to
maintain.  I was just a bit... disappointed that Debian-SF not only
was't even hinted at, but its existence was positively denied (the
"others have failed" was not very flattering)

Roland, I don't think you have to feel belittled. I don't think it was intended as an attack on you, but rather a bunch of flattery aimed at me. It's possible that Steve was not aware of your efforts, or is not a debian user.

There has been a lot of work that went into Debian-SF in the past 1-2 years, including a lot of very useful internationalization. But I don't agree that "significant" changes have been made, in terms of new features.

Significant changes, such as a new task/project manager, are yet to come, and I think it's important that we roll those changes into as many of the different forks that are out there as possible.

Tim

Well, I'm going to step up to the plate on this one. My impression of the debian-sf was that it hadn't progressed past an apt-get install of the original base. Failure does seem a bit harsh in retrospect.

However; from the Debain-SF website I feel that my impression is mostly right unless you suffer from being shy about it: "In practice, you only get a mostly-functional Sourceforge server running in a matter of minutes with no hassle." Not exactly flattering in your own words.

I'd be really pleased to indicate otherwise and toot the horn for debian-sf if reality is otherwise?

It certainly wasn't meant as an attack.

Steve Mallett
http://OSDir.com on the O'Reilly Network | address@hidden
http://opensource.org | address@hidden