Re: [Debian-sf-devel] Task Manager Rewrite

From: Roland Mas
Subject: Re: [Debian-sf-devel] Task Manager Rewrite
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 14:00:04 +0100

Tim Perdue (2002-12-10 16:23:44 -0600) :

> Next on the chopping block is the task manager. I would appreciate
> any comments that are passed along for adding new features. Here is
> what I have so far:
>
> Task Manager Rewrite
> ---------------------------------
>
> New Features
> --------------------
> -OO using Gforge coding guidelines

Speaking of which, I'd like to add a requirement to them: that all PHP
files have the following lines somewhere at the end of them.  This
will make sure all us Emacs users have the appropriate indentation
style and Emacs mode (especially for .class files, which Emacs tends
to not see as PHP files).

// Local Variables:
// mode: php
// c-file-style: "bsd"
// End:

> -Link to tracker - when you close a task, you close out associated
> tracker item(s).

  Cool feature, but please make it disablable.

> -Easily spawn tasks from tracker items
>       (if a bug is submitted, you should be able to easily spin that
> into task manager, same for patches)

  That's not exactly the way I thought of it.  Bugs/patches/tracker
items and tasks are independent of each other, in my mind.  Again,
please make that behaviour disablable.

> -Easily spawn cvs module, forums, mailing lists, tracker
> items/categories, and link into them from subproject

  Sure.  Maybe even a CVS branch, although where to anchor it.

> -when a constraining task is delayed, you must recursively
>       push back other tasks where necessary

  Um.  Depends what you use for the end dates.  If they record
deadlines set by management, for instance, you can't just push them
back as easily.

> -Determine total time to complete project by finding constraints
> -Gantt chart
>       http://www.perdue.net/jpdocs/html/5gantt.html#9

  Cool.  Remember there are licensing problems with Jpgraph, though.

> -"My Page" should show personal gantt chart

  Great idea.

  Again, I'd like to stress that I'd like these new features/rewrites
to be made into plugins.  This new task manager, while being extremely
cool, might be overly complex for a default one.  The current one,
while not very feature-rich, is enough for a significant proportion of
users.  Choice would be good.

Roland.
--
Roland Mas