Re: [Debian-sf-devel] NonFree software and Debian SF

From: Christian BAYLE
Subject: Re: [Debian-sf-devel] NonFree software and Debian SF
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 11:23:29 +0100

Hi

You can use jpgraph with gforge package, but it's not even suggested.
I removed the experimental package from my sites, waiting the answer.
The gantt chart feature is not included in debian-sf package at all.

I sent email to jpgraph creator to clarify the situation, and hope a positive answer jpgraph is ready to be uploaded in debian, but won't be in main if it is not free of course,
and even probably not in non-free.

Christian

James Michael DuPont a écrit:

Dear Team,

I was very suprised and very disappointed to see that we now have non-free software in the debian-sf/gforge system.
(JPGraph, or something like that)

In any case, if it is not in free under debian, then we can and should
not use it. I would like to see why this decision was made and who made
it?
I would like to ask you to reconsider this decision!

If you want gannt charts, here is a package that can handle them (under
BSD, and can be converted to GPL)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpaga/

Here you can run gnuplot via perl
http://www.tjhsst.edu/~dhechtma/techlab/gnuplot/

The GNOME Guppi could be embedded on the server side,
or ran on the client
http://www.gnome.org/projects/guppi/

MRTG / Multi Router Traffic Grapher
http://www.mrtg.org/

And the rrdtool :
http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/rrdtool/

(in c)
http://www.mrunix.net/webalizer/

and from webmin (in perl)
http://webminstats.sourceforge.net/

I find it even crazy that you would use non-free software before using
perl or python.
The guys from gnuenterprise.org and dotgnu.org will be sure to help out
if needed.
I find that you should make a list of all non-free software in
gforge/debian-sf and give them 30 days to offer it to you under a free
license, otherwise we will post a public call for help to help replace
any and all non-free software to the entire free software word.

What do you think?

mike

=====
James Michael DuPont