dejagnu

Re: Excluding FAILs from UNSUPPORTED test cases

From: Arsen Arsenović
Subject: Re: Excluding FAILs from UNSUPPORTED test cases
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 12:52:16 +0200

Hi,

On Sunday, 25 September 2022 06:24:06 CEST you wrote:
> Running ${tool}-dg-prune earlier works both ways, allowing the
> callback prune routine to also remove or modify any output that might
> confuse the message-matching mechanism.  Really, given the documented
> (such as it is) feature for ${tool}-dg-prune to be able to declare
> the entire test unsupported, I would expect it to filter the results
> before messages are checked.
Re-reading the docs, I think you're right in terms of the semantics that
the ${tool}-dg-prune callback should implement.

As a test, I re-ran the GCC test suite after moving the invocation of
${tool}-dg-prune output to be right after ${tool}-dg-test (so, line 700
of lib/dg.exp), which introduced 14361 new FAILs (but also fixed a few
tests).  It'd appear that all but sixteen of these new fails are a
result of the GCC-specific dg-message and multiline.exp, and some of
those sixteen fail due to trying to test for the presence of strings
they prune (i.e. they want to detect that there's at least one of some
diagnostic, AFAICT).  I'll see if I can do anything to remedy these.

In the meanwhile, I filed a bug so that this issue can be tracked in
the GNU bug tracker.

Thanks,
--
Arsen Arsenović