demexp-dev

[Demexp-dev] announcement: demexp 0.4.0

From: David MENTRE
Subject: [Demexp-dev] announcement: demexp 0.4.0
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 20:34:12 +0100

Hello,

I'm pleased to announce the availability of stable release 0.4.0 of
demexp. Of course, demexp is programmed in OCaml.

What is demexp?
===============

demexp is a client/server system for direct democracy. It makes it
possible to ask questions in the system, add new answers to those
questions, and vote on proposed answers. The voting procedure used is
Condorcet voting. Questions are classified, and a delegation system (not
yet implemented) allows one's vote for certain questions to be assigned
to a chosen delegate. The software is tailored to the needs of the
Democratic Experience project.

What's new since latest annoucement[1]?
=======================================

Since last september we have added:

 - a nice graphical client using lablgtk2 toolkit;

 - save/load of server base in XML format using CDuce;

 - redesign of classification system;

 - disabling of delegation;

 - various bug fixes to make it usable.

demexp can now be used for testing purpose in small groups.

What about the future?
======================

We know that the client is far from perfect and we plan to improve it in
the short term.

After that, we plan to do (in probable order): delegation;
internationalization and localisation; security.

*We are still looking for motivated OCaml developers.* :)

Where can I get a client?
=========================

Source code:
 http://www.linux-france.org/~dmentre/demexp/latest-src/

Linux binary:
 http://www.linux-france.org/~dmentre/demexp/binaries/

Debian package:
 http://thomas.enix.org/pub/debian/packages/

Windows binary:
 http://christophe.gisquet.free.fr/

Side note: in all above sites, client 0.3.8 or 0.3.9 is similar to
           0.4.0.

How can I test it?
==================

A demonstration server is available at:
 host: tuxinette.linux-france.org
 port: 50000

A demonstration account:
 login: demo
 password: demo

Let me know if you want to have your user account.

Web links
=========

Development website:
 http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/demexp

The democratic experience project:
 http://www.demexp.org

Yours,
david

[1]
http://caml.inria.fr/pub/ml-archives/caml-list/2004/09/27752fde1419fa1fd38f2137de57d5ce.en.html
--
pub  1024D/A3AD7A2A 2004-10-03 David MENTRE <address@hidden>
 5996 CC46 4612 9CA4 3562  D7AC 6C67 9E96 A3AD 7A2A