demexp-dev

[Demexp-dev] some thinking on the client: how to improve its usability a

From: David MENTRE
Subject: [Demexp-dev] some thinking on the client: how to improve its usability and attract programmers
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 23:28:41 +0200

Hello,

I'm thinking at the different ways to improve the current client. Here
are some ideas I have, in no particular order.

 - programming language: Python vs. OCaml

   Since Thomas has made the RPC mechanism available in Python, it is
   now conceivable to write some user interface in Python, using
   e.g. PyGTK. Python is much more known than OCaml. Of course, all
   current code is in OCaml, so it would need a rewrite in
   Python. Should we invest time in a Python client?

 - modularity of client.

   The current client is one big binary, with several windows but no
   real links between those windows. The user might be easily lost in
   it. I'm thinking at making several binaries, one for each task
   (vote, browse database, classification). Those graphical programs
   would be callable from shell scripts, other programming languages,
   etc.

   Another less extrem approach would be to keep the same single demexp
   client but add options like --browse or --vote to open directly the
   requested window, using a demexp URL
   (demexp://server:port/question/N);

   My main objective: I would like to write the necessary parts so that
   external developers could reuse them to make a more complex demexp
   client. For example, I can add options to given informations in
   textual form that can be parsed by shell scripts (--list-questions,
   --print-question N).

 - usability of client to track changes

   The main issue with the current client is that it is difficult to
   track changes (new questions, new responses, etc.). In order to
   improve that, I'm thinking of a two side answer:

   - implement a state (i.e. caching) in the client to store seen
     questions and their state.

     Implement a timestamp mechanism to track changes (no proposal yet,
     I'll made a separate email on it);

   - implement "virtual tags" that show unseen questions, unvoted ones,
     etc.

   Your opinion? Any idea on a way to track changes efficiently?

I won't be able to sustain demexp development for two more years
alone. So we MUST find a way to attract new developers. :)

Yours,
d.
--
pub  1024D/A3AD7A2A 2004-10-03 David MENTRE <address@hidden>
 5996 CC46 4612 9CA4 3562  D7AC 6C67 9E96 A3AD 7A2A