demexp-dev

[Demexp-dev] Re: ocamlrpcgen no longer recognises command line options

From: David MENTRE
Subject: [Demexp-dev] Re: ocamlrpcgen no longer recognises command line options
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 19:10:52 +0100

Hello Stefano,

[For context, this is a reply to:
 http://lists.debian.org/debian-ocaml-maint/2008/01/msg00061.html ]

Stefano Zacchiroli <address@hidden> writes:

> Only the version number, not (necessarily) the package itself: Ubuntu
> rebuilds Debian packages in its "universe" and applies its own patches.
[...]
> In case you want to forward a patch for this specific problem to the
> Ubuntu side, here is the needed line in debian/rules:
>
>   DEB_STRIP_EXCLUDE += usr/bin/ocamlrpcgen
>
> (together with a similar line for usr/bin/netplex-admin, FWIF).

Thank you for the explanations. I tried to find this Ubuntu's specific
patch but found nothing. :-(

I found no Ubuntu specific patch for ocamlnet or libocamlnet in:
 http://patches.ubuntu.com/o/
nor in:
 http://patches.ubuntu.com/libo/

Looking at http://packages.ubuntu.com/gutsy/libs/libocamlnet-ocaml it
seems that the patch applied to the package is exactly the same as the
Debian one (i.e. yours):

http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/o/ocamlnet/ocamlnet_2.2.7-1.diff.gz

It has the DEB_STRIP_EXCLUDE lines:
 +DEB_STRIP_EXCLUDE += usr/bin/netplex-admin    # OCaml custom bytecode
binaries can't be striped
 +DEB_STRIP_EXCLUDE += usr/bin/ocamlrpcgen

So maybe the strip is done at another level or is the side effect of
another system-wide change, but this is beyond my knowledge of Ubuntu
and Debian.

In any case, I'll add this information to the Ubuntu bug report[1].

Yours,
d.

Footnotes:
[1]  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ocamlnet/+bug/180364

--
GPG/PGP key: A3AD7A2A David MENTRE <address@hidden>
 5996 CC46 4612 9CA4 3562  D7AC 6C67 9E96 A3AD 7A2A