demo-schools-discuss

[DS-discuss][Fwd]: Re: electronic versions of your books

From: Suraj Kumar
Subject: [DS-discuss][Fwd]: Re: electronic versions of your books
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 10:29:55 +0530

the final[?] msg to Bruce?

  -Suraj
--
+--------------------------------------------<address@hidden>---+
| One who lacks compatibility in life, and meekly submits to       |
| his wife, in fear, fails in his duties to help the good          |
| (female infatuation - 5), Thirukkural                            |
+---<http://symonds.net/~suraj/>-----------------------------------+
--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: electronic versions of your books Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 10:25:39 +0530
Bruce Eckel writes:

 > No, you  cannot make modifications to  the book. This  is not under
 > any kind  of open-source license.  It's freely available,  but it's
 > fully copyrighted.

I'm sure you  know this, but just reminding: you can  still be able to
retain  your copyrights  and still  be able  to change  the license(s)
under which  your book is published  at any point of  time.  Only that
when you  release your books  (under special terms to  address@hidden OR
under an open source /  free license), address@hidden OR people would be
able to make modifications. I donot know if modifications by others to
your books  might hurt the intention  with which you  wrote the books,
but am sure it would be worth a big deal of help to address@hidden :)

We do have a book named  'Think like a computer scientist'[1] but that
book does not explain C++ in depth, though its python tutorial is very
nice in  terms of introducing  to OOP concepts.   Being a fan  of your
series, I wish it should be made available to all the poor children in
India.

  -Suraj
[still with the hope of using Bruce's books for address@hidden purposes]