demo-schools-discuss

Re: [DS-discuss] languages

From: Suraj
Subject: Re: [DS-discuss] languages
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 22:52:53 -0700

James Buchanan wrote on Sat, Apr 26, 2003 at 02:58:05PM +1000:

,----
| Tcl has an  awkward syntax, Python is an  excellent choice, but object
| oriented (might not go down  well with younger kids.)  Python would be
| great for adolescents.
`----

true.

,----
| I don't think Bruce Eckels' books  are a good choice for children, but
| for  older  adolescents, yes.   Note  they  assume  some knowledge  of
| programming in at least one  modern language before embarking on those
| texts  - the  Thinking in  C++ book  is quite  advanced,  probably too
| advanced (and too big) for kids.
`----

true, but we were targetting  at _also_ college students (19+ yrs old)
who,  I  guess,  will   definitely  like  bruce  eckels'  books.   but
anyway.. this  is not going  to happen, so  I think its a  blessing in
disguise to let us write our own books.

,----
| Volume  1: Programming  Principles  (pseudocode, to  get familar  with
| topwise refinement and common algorithms and structured techniques,

| Volume 2: Structured Programming  Techniques (goes into the structured
| subset of C++ for example, teaches common algorithms like searching

| Volume   3:  Advanced   Programming  (teaches   algorithms   and  data
| structures, object oriented programming, software engineering and

| code from everyday software packages, commenting on the source code to
| instill enthusiasm and confidence.
`----

wonderful!  please  go ahead!  :) I  remember adding you  into the CVS
but "suddenly" you are not there!!?? anyway, please give your savannah
ID in private,  I will add you  right away (I may not  be available on
tomorrow (sunday) so pls send your ID before 1900 JST today).

  -Suraj
--
| No glory is greater than the resolve to perform                      |