demo-schools-discuss

[DS-discuss]Re: [OT] Viduthalai?

From: Suraj Kumar
Subject: [DS-discuss]Re: [OT] Viduthalai?
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 20:15:18 -0500

Rahul Sundaram wrote on Wed, May 28, 2003 at 04:49:07PM +0100:
,----
| again free  s.w remains  a confusing  term and is  the reason  why the
| *term*  open source  became  famous.  dont look  upon  open source  as
| something u  should avoid.  anyway i  was talking about  the concept i
| was talking about the term open source. freedom software remains a
`----

open  source is  a  much more  confusing  term especially  when it  is
applied  to  software  like  msql  (not mysql)  which  are  very  very
restrictive  that  many  consider  it  to be  as  bad  as  proprietary
software.  Like  Ramanan pointed  out, Viduthalai seems  to be  a nice
term. I  still think  free software isn't  a very apt  word especially
when we approach schools/colleges.

,----
| better term than  free software and there is no reason  for fsf not to
| use it in favor of free software.trying vernacular alternatives doesnt
| overcom the problem for
`----

this is  an old  story -  simply there is  already a  software company
named 'freedom software'[1] and hence the term 'free software'.

,----
| give me just one reason not to use the term freedom software.
`----

I dont  find any  reason though  I think your  stance on  saying 'free
software' is confusing is a bit too.. ummm... biased... ;)

  -Suraj

--
| The eve of pallid mist spreads chillness to                          |