demo-schools-discuss

Re: [DS-discuss] languages

From: James Buchanan
Subject: Re: [DS-discuss] languages
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 04:53:27 -0000

In my experience, 16+ years old kids are much better off with Java or
C++, while younger kids from, let's say, 10+ are better off with
typeless, however-you-want-it languages like Perl.

Tcl has an awkward syntax, Python is an excellent choice, but object
oriented (might not go down well with younger kids.)  Python would be
great for adolescents.

I have had some success with C++ with kids as young as 14 however.

I don't think Bruce Eckels' books are a good choice for children, but
for older adolescents, yes.  Note they assume some knowledge of
programming in at least one modern language before embarking on those
texts - the Thinking in C++ book is quite advanced, probably too
advanced (and too big) for kids.

I would be inclined to teach programming with a number of (slim, easy
to read) volumes that go something like this:

Volume 1:  Programming Principles (pseudocode, to get familar with
topwise refinement and common algorithms and structured techniques,
like looping and conditional execution, data types, then moving onto a
typeless language like Perl)
Volume 2:  Structured Programming Techniques (goes into the structured
subset of C++ for example, teaches common algorithms like searching
and sorting, text processing or string handling, command line
arguments, file processing, and has a generous number of interesting
"stops" where common software programmes and how they work are
explained, such as GUIs, virus scanners, email and web software, etc
etc.)
Volume 3:  Advanced Programming (teaches algorithms and data
structures, object oriented programming, software engineering and
project management with make, etc.)

Most kids can have a lot of fun with Volume 1, those who are
especially serious about programming can progress through Volumes 2
and 3.  Throughout the books I would emphasise free software and the
free software philosophy, and also give structured walk-throughs of
code from everyday software packages, commenting on the source code to
instill enthusiasm and confidence.

--
James