demo-schools-discuss

Re: [DS-discuss] Re: A nice guide to Debian GNU/Linux

From: Ramanan Selvaratnam
Subject: Re: [DS-discuss] Re: A nice guide to Debian GNU/Linux
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 12:51:41 +0100

Ganesh Swami wrote:

Hello,

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, Ramanan Selvaratnam wrote:

demo @schools couldnt definitely use the stuff bcoz it
is licensed under gpl

Why is GPL a problem?

Before the invent of GFDL it was common to use GPL for documentation.
I would personally prefer the GFDL here as it is specifically made for protecting documentation but do not see why GPL is such problem.

        The GPL is a 'problem' because the license does not require you to
credit the original author. This does not fit very well with the
traditional sense of plagiarism.
        Hence, the GFDL.

GFDL was intended to get publishers to take up copyleft principles too.
ie, There are provisions to mass produce manuals and other documentations.

        IIRC, Debian considers the GFDL not to be Free Enough, because
it requires you _not_ to remove the original contributors names.

IMHO GFDL has opt out features that should defuse such tensions
<http://www.gnu.org/licenses/fdl-howto-opt.html>

[...] I don't see how the license affects the
USAGE of the document.
True.
So shall we stick with the GPL as it is applied for the book and try and see how to make use of it?

It only matters when you have to make changes,
then IMHO its simpler to send the diffs to the original project rather
than forking it.
Thanks Ganesh.
This will suit me and unless there are objections (lets leave a week for any objections to arrive) the best way will be to add on to the book. If and when the need for a fork arrives we can be happy to have contributed to the Debian Docuentaion Project (DDP) and progress on.

I think (apart from an Emacs howto) the graphical user interface sections as at <http://debguide.sarovar.org/en/#SYSMGMT-X> are the ones that need most help.
Any other suggestions?

Best wihses,
Ramanan