denemo-devel

[Denemo-devel] [bug #57011] Installation and overall structure

From: Richard Shann
Subject: [Denemo-devel] [bug #57011] Installation and overall structure
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2019 12:54:55 -0400 (EDT)

Follow-up Comment #1, bug #57011 (project denemo):

"the attempt to install the program with the packages specified in the link
under Ubuntu 16.04 ended in a crashed package manager, which had to be
repaired by hand." I'm guessing this is the packages built by Andreas?

"Starting as AppImage leads to "symbol lookup error:
/tmp/.mount_denemopAcn8G/lib/libgtk-3.so.0: undefined symbol:
g_log_structured"." That is curious - the only error that should be possible
is that a library is not included - I've tested the AppImage on several live
distros, and as libgtk-3.so.0 is included in the AppImage it is difficult to
see how a symbol could be missing.

"The start of the application from the TAR archive works" do you mean that you
built it from the source?

"shows a completely confusing software"
yes, I can understand that - Denemo is more like a toolkit for making your own
customized program for doing what you need.
In consequence
 "with overcrowded menus"
pretty much everything is piled into the menus. Unlike normal programs though
you can alter that - if you like to use menus you can hide the menu items that
are of no interest. Or if you like to use the keyboard you can set up
shortcuts of one or two key-presses. Or if you like to use palettes you can
set up any number of them, docked or floating and activate them either by
mouse or keyboard.

"I had hoped to replace the cumbersome way of entering into MuseScore,
exporting to MusicXml and editing in Lilypond, but that seems easier than
working with Denemo".

Even when you have tailored yourself an efficient method for entering/editing
your music there would be some customization needed to export pleasant to read
and edit LilyPond syntax from it - Denemo generates syntax is not wonderful to
read but could be told to export nicely formatted parts into LilyPond include
files for incorporation into a project. No-one, as far as I know, has done
that - people just manipulate the LilyPond syntax from within Denemo.

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?57011>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.gnu.org/