denemo-devel

[bug #64969] Please improve feedback to the user

From: Maciej Pilichowski
Subject: [bug #64969] Please improve feedback to the user
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2023 02:35:40 -0500 (EST)

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
         Originator Name:
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Follow-up Comments:

Date: Sun 03 Dec 2023 07:35:37 AM UTC By: Maciej Pilichowski <macias>
Thank you for the interesting program, I know first hand that crating program
for wider audience is pretty demanding. And then comes the user and it starts
;-)

>From my experience I would say that feedback is the major thing in Denemo.

1. I start Denem with "flatpak run org.denemo.Denemo" and for good time there
is nothing except messages in the console:

ALSA lib ../../../src/pcm/pcm.c:8675:(snd_pcm_recover) underrun occurred

It is a wall of text and because of slow start I was not sure if the Denemo
was frozen in infinite loop or is it actually starting. I would suggest
filtering messages (do not show the same message again) or even hiding them.

Instead some indication of start would be useful.

2. Then I imported a piece from lilypond. Again, wall of messages like

%% Reduce/Reduce conflict (reduce 179, reduce 143) on 'TEMPO' in state 233

As a user -- is it valuable for me, or not. If not, I would say hide this
message because it is irrelevant.

The piece was imported synchronously, so for entire time UI was frozen.

And when it was finally imported, the only data which was visually changed was
the title of the piece, no new notes were added. So this is again feedback, it
would be better to show some dialog window with info "Import failed" or
something like this and of course in case of failure setting the title should
not happen.

Or maybe more flexible approach "There were 200 errors in when importing, do
you still want to use the data?" --> Yes/No.

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?64969>

Message sent via Savannah
https://savannah.gnu.org/