disobedient blare

From: Mathilda England
Subject: disobedient blare
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 18:46:19 -0400

He put thumb tonose, and twinkled his fingers at me. For with war a subtle change happened to the soldier. Then came the central act of the day, the assault upon the station.
Thence we made a wide circuit to where, with Zaal, we hadmined our first train. Feisal gasped and caught my knee, saying,How?
There was nothing to do, but see our men volleyed out of the railwaystation again.
The visit was successful, though my finaldetermination was that the place should be left alone.
Thence we made a wide circuit to where, with Zaal, we hadmined our first train.
They seemed just as unhandy with camels as at first; so nottill dusk did we cross the railway. But these others were really soldiers, a novelty after two yearsirregularity.
A technicality, even a sham one, might be helpful.
I argued, but he seemedunable to see my side at all. They said that Feisal had moved to Uheida. My bodyguard was with me, and Mirzuk had his Ageyl, with two famousracing camels. A further messenger reported howthe English had just fled from Salt.
I thought it too trifling, but when they chafed, agreed. Rasim was the gunner andthe gun our Krupp antiquity of Medina, Wejh and Tafileh.
It was fighting de luxe, anddemolition de luxe: we enjoyed ourselves.
At last news came that the English had taken Amman.
However, Allenbys staunchnesswas aiming to relieve us. We discussed histories, tribes, migration, sentiments, thespring rains, pasture, at length. A further messenger reported howthe English had just fled from Salt. He returnedthe formal answer, God will give you peace, and at last wearilyclosed his eyes. Fortunately he received me well, and took me round his lines. Maynard and I spent the next days watching operations. Incidentally he had furiouslyoverstrained the Arabs.
We had one evilmoment, by the bridge, when we were returning. Our plan, thanks to Allenbys lion-share, promised simply. Slaves might be free, if theycould, in intention.
I told him of the night-flares, which must have markedhis success.
Ireplied hotly, To put a thousand men into Deraa any day you please. We trotted our fastest,as the sun grew higher in the heavens. Discipline wasmodified, supported, even swallowed by an eagerness of the man tofight.
Peake and Hornby continued work that dayand the day following. The water was grey, like themarly valley bed, but sweet. This was plainly contrary toAllenbys intention, and I swore straight out that it was not true.
Hornby and the explosives, in Talbots No.
His first reply was irrelevant; hissecond conveyed that I might go on wanting. We would,when ready, cross the line to Themed, the main Beni Sakhr watering. He returnedthe formal answer, God will give you peace, and at last wearilyclosed his eyes.