gust bell pepper

From: Pius Johnson
Subject: gust bell pepper
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 08:36:50 -0500

Were we deserted inthe prison of Tanis, or on our journey up the Nile?
Then others of them went on and vanished,to hunt among the tombs beyond, or so Khian supposed. The Sheik, also, grew so wild in his mannerthat Khian thought that he was going mad.
First because the Captain of the Pyramids issworn, whatever chances, never to leave them. The narrow passages were choked withthem. Then he called Temu and the three of them took counsel together. Neveryet have I known harm to come to a Brother of the Dawn going about hisduty.
Then suddenly oneshouted, pointing upwards:Look! Flee swiftly ere the curse strikes us in this haunted place. Once more it was sunset and again the Arabs, mounted on fine horses,appeared at the camp. What seek you in this holy place, O men of blood, and who sent youhere?
Neveryet have I known harm to come to a Brother of the Dawn going about hisduty.
He drank and commandedme to help him to rise and to array him in all his priestly garments. Now, as I think, thepyramids will be safe from these common cliff-climbers for many ayear.
Then I shall return and guideyou to them, for I think that they will know which way to ride. Now Roy spoke in a hollow echoing voice, saying:What is life and what is death? Arise, Prince, said Temu, for though one would not guess it here,it must be day. Ghosts or men, said the first voice, that of the Captain, we willtake them to-morrow. Then others of them went on and vanished,to hunt among the tombs beyond, or so Khian supposed.
Still, let us go on, for God is with usalways.
Hide in the temple, I think, Temu, at least for the coming night.
I think that he could bear this place no more and seeks freedom indeath, or otherwise. Arise, Prince, said Temu, for though one would not guess it here,it must be day. Then they went to him, trembling, climbed the dais, and looked intohis face. Butif such is the beginning, Prince, what of the end? Once more it was sunset and again the Arabs, mounted on fine horses,appeared at the camp.
He had found no time to count them ashe climbed and each was like to the other. Then, Lord, there arose another cry of Flee! Here is the nest of the white ratsof the Dawn, who soon shall be red.
It is dangerous, said Khian, but so be it, for if I bide here muchlonger I think that I shall die. Awake, holy Prophet, said Khian, but Roy did not stir or answer. At this moment the Sheik appeared bearing a lamp.
Once more it was sunset and again the Arabs, mounted on fine horses,appeared at the camp. Then he went to theentrance place and took down the bar that closed it.
Aye, answered one in the hall, but his curse lives on.
Thus for these three there began a time of terror.
Thus for these three there began a time of terror.
Have we not heard that the pyramids arehaunted? They made no answer and Roy went on:Search, search, to find naught but wind and sand.