pin

From: Fanny Berger
Subject: pin
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 10:39:17 +0300

Life wasbigger than mens little jumped-up notions of themselves. What this country needs is engineers, notlog-rollers. Like the carrot they hang in frontof the donkey to keep it jogging, he used to say.
Out in the yard a man was hard at work filling the water-butts atthe kitchen door. Swaggie kicked the bucket down the FiveMile.
You dont think they lined theirpockets by observing the Commandments, do you?
I made this valley so men could live in it?
He was lying in his bunk wrapped up to the ears in blankets.
No, I dont hold with Chows in a white mans country.
The old man cleared a space before him with asweep of his arm. Down in Brisbane the Government was bankrupt, men were rioting forbread.
I havent been intriguing with anybody, James said sulkily.
And looking at Emma he repeated it defiantly.
I been wanting a place of my ownand theres a lot like me. Its good to think therell be more likeyourself. Being like a mirageand having no face to speak of.
His voice that was like a bad-tempered dogs yapping went up halfan octave. Too hot for your namby-pamby hide, is it? Emma would bring him the food hastily and thrust it into his hands. A gentleman whose grandmother came out with her convict husbandand had him flogged to death.
The characters in this book are fictional.
I dont hold with agitators, Berry said stubbornly. Harriet, thats what well call you, little one, Cabell said,dandling the sickly newly-born. Copyright laws are changing all over the world.
Never lickspittled to any man, Berry said.
Life wasbigger than mens little jumped-up notions of themselves. Ones got his fist on the land and the others just letwork on it.
For half a minute longer the only movement at the table was fromthe youngest boy, Geoffrey.
He liftedhimself on his elbow and let the blankets fall.
Her eyes widened lookingat them, and the heat flush deepened on her face. A hundred thousand quids worth, and what did we get? Gurseys head appeared over the edge of the counter again. One of these days youll be worth your weight in gold a hundredtimes.