Re: apt-get breaks gnuradio 3.8.1.0

From: Josh
Subject: Re: apt-get breaks gnuradio 3.8.1.0
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2020 13:23:32 -0400

Paul,

Repackaging the OOT packages into the PPA is not a trivial amount of work, but I have taken a stab at re-appending the '3.8.1' for the package names, and it seems to correct the problem:

https://launchpad.net/~mormj/+archive/ubuntu/gnuradio-releases

I'm not sure whether this will impact current PPA users.

Only did this for 20.04 because previous Ubuntu releases should not see this problem as they ship with GR 3.7.x.  This doesn't solve the use case of older Ubuntu with PPA GR, then wanting latest OOT packages.  For that we will need to host the OOT packages.

I'm still of the mindset that if you want the latest released version (e.g. from the PPA), then for now you have to install OOTs from source.  Except 20.04 might work.

Josh

On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 8:50 AM Paul Boven <p.boven@xs4all.nl> wrote:
Hi Josh, everyone,

On 7/31/20 1:31 PM, Josh wrote:
> I think Paul is right - we stepped the PPA version up with the correct
> numbering scheme, but that seems to conflict with the dependencies of
> OOTs.  There are a couple of ways to deal with OOTs in the future, but
> we don't have an immediate solution other than don't mix the PPA with
> the packaged OOTs.

As far as I can see, getting a fixed GR into Ubuntu stable is going to
take some time. Both packaging (and having a good discussion about *how*
we want it packaged, in terms of filenames and the like), and getting it
accepted into ubuntu-updates for 20.04.

As a short term solution, I propose to add all the packages that depend
on the GNU Radio libraries in Ubuntu 20.04 as part of the PPA, because
the PPA version of those libraries conflict and prevents them from
getting installed. These can be found by running:

apt-cache rdepends libgnuradio-runtime3.8.1

The other option would be to rebuild the current PPA, with all the
pacakges having '3.8.1' at the end of their name, and a version number
that is higher than current PPA and release versions. Currently, the
'official' Ubuntu library packages (except gnuradio itself) have a
suffix of 3.8.1 in their name. So if we were to publish
libgnuradio-runtime3.8.1 instead of libgnuradio-runtime, the higher
version number would work fine for dependent packages. Although that
would create a bit of a mess for current PPA users.

Regards, Paul Boven.