Re: GNU Radio SDR Project

From: Martin Braun
Subject: Re: GNU Radio SDR Project
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 23:12:45 +0200

On 9/10/20 4:03 AM, Elmore's wrote:
> I am currently working on a GNU radio project using my Softrock/MOBO
> SDR. I have a functioning receiver and transmitter. I now want to
> incorporate an interface to the Softrock in the GNU Radio flowgraph. I
> have not been able to find any info on how to do this.
>
> I am using a command line application called usbsoftrock to control PTT
> and frequency. This is written in C. Ideally I would like to call
> usbsoftrock from the flowgraph but I don’t see any way to do that. I
> have looked at creating a new block and using a Function Probe block but
> this doesn’t seem possible. The blocks need to be written in C++ or
> Python and Function Probe can’t make a single function call.
>
> My platform is a Raspberry Pi. GNU Radio has presented a stiff learning
> curve for me and I’m sure I still have a lack of understanding of many
> aspects of it.
>
> Note that I have used quisk on the RPi and PowerSDR on a Windows machine
> with the Softrock.
>
> Any suggestions? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Have you done the tutorials on how to write a block? Thanks to our docs
team, they're pretty good. I would recommend using GNU Radio 3.8 as a
basis. Once you've done the tutorial, creating hardware sources or sinks
should not be hard if you're familiar with C/C++. There's plenty of
other driver interface blocks (like gr-uhd) to use as inspiration.

--M