Re: B200 minis time and frequency synchronization

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: B200 minis time and frequency synchronization
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2022 16:19:45 -0400

On 2022-07-20 15:33, Ankit Jain wrote:
Hello everyone,

I have multiple B200 minis and would like to know if I could synchronize them using the external frequency reference and 1 PPS signal.

I know that there's only one reference input port on each B200 mini which can either take an external 10 MHz reference or 1 PPS signal to share same time across multiple units.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Best regards,
Ankit

Strict phase synchronization with B200 "mini" is not possible.

But the "combined" input can be used to both provide a 1PPS input and steer the internal clock using a DPLL implementation inside the FPGA.

I recall that you just set the "time" source to external, and leave the REF clock as "internal", and the DPLL will steer the internal clock using the   1PPS input.   If you provide a 10MHz clock on the 1PPS input, it is simply divided down internally into a 1PPS reference, and the steering logic
  is the same.