Re: [VOLK] Release 2.5.2

From: Chris Vine
Subject: Re: [VOLK] Release 2.5.2
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2022 12:17:37 +0100

On Fri, 9 Sep 2022 11:35:26 +0200
Johannes Demel <demel@ant.uni-bremen.de> wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> The issue arises in an odd combination.
>
> 1. you installed VOLK (and cpu_features) to your custom prefix before
> 2. your custom prefix is currently NOT sourced
> 3. you try to re-compile with `CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=<CUSTOM_PREFIX>`
>
> What I've learned so far:
> 1. It requires special configuration in a submodule to disable installation.
> 2. CMake tries to be smart and the linker does smth different.
>
> A more complete analysis and a subsequent fix may be nice.
>
> Cheers
> Johannes
>
> On 08.09.22 23:40, Chris Vine wrote:
> > On Sun, 4 Sep 2022 18:41:18 +0200
> > Johannes Demel <demel@ant.uni-bremen.de> wrote:
> >> Hi everyone!
> >>
> >> We have a new VOLK release! We are happy to announce VOLK v2.5.2! We
> >> want to thank all contributors. This release wouldn't have been possible
> >> without them.
> >
> > Something seems to be amiss when compiling against the internal version
> > of cpu_features:

> >    [ 88%] Built target volk_obj
> >    [ 89%] Linking C shared library libvolk.so
> >    /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lcpu_features: No such file or directory
> >    collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
> >    make[2]: *** [lib/CMakeFiles/volk.dir/build.make:168:
> > lib/libvolk.so.2.5.2] Error 1
> >    make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:239: lib/CMakeFiles/volk.dir/all]
> > Error 2
> >    make: *** [Makefile:146: all] Error 2

Yes I have volk (and gnuradio) installed in a custom prefix.  I think
you have identified at least part of the problem: volk-2.5.2 compiles
correctly if I uninstall the old version of volk (volk-2.5.0) _before_
compiling the new one.

The good news is that this seems to be caused by a fairly recent change
in volk's build system: volk-2.5.0 compiles fine with a previous version
installed - I have just done some test compiles and the build problem
seems to have first arisen with volk-2.5.1.