Referring to a block by a specific name

From: Temir Karakurum
Subject: Referring to a block by a specific name
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2022 19:34:58 +0300

Hi,

I have some python snippets within the GRC that refer to certain blocks. However, the GRC generated names can be quite unintuitive (like blocks_stream_to_vector_1_0 etc.) . I was wondering whether it is possible to refer to certain blocks by user-defined names.

I understand that there is an alias option in each block's GUI that corresponds to a set_block_alias() call in the top_block python script. Apparently there is a block registry (https://github.com/gnuradio/gnuradio/blob/main/gnuradio-runtime/lib/block_registry.cc) that allows you lookups by alias but I could not figure out how to do that in python.

What is the recommended approach for my scenario? Any help would be much appreciated.

Best regards,
T.K.