discuss-gnustep

Re: Added MISSING file to libs-gui

From: Johannes Brakensiek
Subject: Re: Added MISSING file to libs-gui
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2019 15:23:50 +0100

Hi Greg,

thank you for your kind reply and your plans on development! Sounds great to me.

On 1 Dec 2019, at 14:03, Gregory Casamento wrote:

And yes, currently you have almost no chance to port a current interface
to GNUstep.

Not true. There are a few current apps which are on GNUstep by companies
which reach thousands of users.

But how do they do it? I meant the user interface (xib/nib files) where I only see the way of either develop .gorm and .xib files in parallel or to use an old version of Interface Builder (<= Xcode 4) to be able to load it using Gorm/GNUstep. Did I miss anything?

As a first project I just updated DictionaryReader.app to make it work on Cocoa. It does, but the implementation/use of NSUInteger is probably
be different for Cocoa and GNUstep as my changes on this class do not
work using GNUstep:

https://github.com/Letterus/DictionaryReader/commit/368b39fa1bd81bf7482860d6b85a537d235533d8#diff-3dc9afee5b822cb486003ac0d8405667

I'll take a look at it.

I’m currently missing the knowledge to figure out what/where the cause
for the issue exactly lays, though.

I'll provide some feedback and or see if I can't fix what's blocking you.

Thank you. Fred already helped me with it and it seemed the first issue was that I didn’t change all declarations of int to NSInteger so I did not have full 64 bit compatibility (which Xcode/Cocoa somehow tweaked to make it work, but GNUstep did not).

The second apparently was that one of the .gorm files was broken regarding the colors which are to be set by the themes. I refreshed the .gorm file from the .nib file and it works now. I just seems that I have to redo it a bit because the .nib file seemed to contain selectors of Cocoa AppKit methods which slightly differ compared to the implementation of GNUstep (I already mentioned these difficulties in my mail before).

Sorry for being so busy... I would have gotten back to you sooner.

Don’t mind, thank you for your reply nonetheless
Johannes