discuss-gnustep

Re: What function sets up the GNUstep environment?

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: What function sets up the GNUstep environment?
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2020 16:26:41 -0500

Fred,

On Tue, Nov 3, 2020 at 4:19 PM Fred Kiefer <fredkiefer@gmx.de> wrote:
Not sure, whether we are all looking for the same thing here. The question is which of the gui functionality would your server application use?

Greg is asking for Postscript output.

I am not asking for postscript output, I am asking if a backend that has a display could print.  I am asking these questions to get an idea of what to expect from such a backend.

We already have a very primitive way for that in the gsc classes so something would be there already. But for a better quality and for example PDF output we should rather use cairo. So if there is the need for real functionality from the backend we could use cairo just with the image surface drawing, that is without any X11 references. But for that you would have to build your own version of that library.

Similar things for fonts, if you want to use fonts in a meaningful way you will have to rely on a library.

The no-op backed that I was talking about would be simple to implement, but also quite useless. The more functionality you expect here, the more complex it will get.

Fred

--
Gregory Casamento
https://www.patreon.com/bePatron?u=352392 - Become a Patron