dmidecode-devel

Re: [dmidecode] dmidecode 3.2 shows strange memory Total Width

From: Axel Rau
Subject: Re: [dmidecode] dmidecode 3.2 shows strange memory Total Width
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2019 13:58:59 +0100

Thanks for your reply, Jean.

> Am 12.11.2019 um 11:18 schrieb Jean Delvare <address@hidden>:
>
> Hi Alex,
>
> On Wed, 2019-11-06 at 15:07 +0100, Axel Rau wrote:
>> I have a new install of Ryzen 7 3700X on a Asrock X470D4U motherboard.
>> The OS is FreeBSD 12.1.
>> I try to find out, if ECC enabled.
>>
>> On a Xeon E5 CPU, dmidecode shows Total Width: 72 bits und Data Width: 64
>> bits.
>> 72-64=8; These are the 8 parity bits.
>
> Sounds right.
>
>> The Ryzen CPU shows Total Width von 128 Bit und Data Width: 64 bits.
>>
>> Is this a bug in the Bios or in demidecode or is ECC not enabled?
>
> I've seen this only once before, definitely looks like a BIOS bug. ECC
> is typically +8 bits for 64-bit wide modules. You may want to check if
> a BIOS update is available for your system, and if not (or if it
> doesn't solve the problem), report to the manufacturer.

Bios version is recent. My inquiry was not answered.
Their specs says:
“For Picasso Ridge and Raven Ridge CPUs, ECC is only supported with PRO CPUs.“
But this is a "Matisse Ridge“ CPU.

https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=X470D4U#Specifications

> Definitely a reference of ECC memory. decode-dimms should say that too.
> I think your best option is to enter the BIOS setup screen and check
> the memory configuration there, maybe there's a configuration option to
> enable/disable ECC, or at the very least it should tell you whether ECC
> is enabled or not.

I’m a bio novice and still looking for reference info.
The only related option, I recognized was:
 Advanced -> AMD CBS -> UMC-> DDR4 -> Common RAS -> ECC conf -> DRAM ECC
The setting was „auto". Changing this to „enabled“, makes no difference.

> As a side note, I am collecting SMBIOS 3.2 implementations for my
> dmidecode test suite, so I would appreciate if you could run "dmidecode
> --dump-bin" on your system and send me the generated file (privately).

Done.

Axel
---
PGP-Key: CDE74120  ☀  computing @ chaos claudius