dmidecode-devel

dmidecode --json

From: Jiri Hnidek
Subject: dmidecode --json
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 16:45:03 +0200

Hi,
I'm working on machine readable output of dmidecode. I added the --json CLI
option. You can see my POC here:

https://github.com/jirihnidek/dmidecode/pull/1

Example of output can be seen here:

https://gist.github.com/jirihnidek/02c7620a5c2cf06752ccea877b35cc84

As you can see there are no dependencies to any other library, but some
information is missing in the output (e.g. handle, DMI type), and there are
other issues.

I would like to ask if you would be interested adding this to upstream
version of dmidecode?

I would like to do proper implementation using the json-c library:
https://github.com/json-c/json-c This is a small library that is part of
most Linux distributions. Could adding dependency on json-c be acceptable?

Adding support for machine readable output to dmidecode would be much
appreciated, because our tools like subscription-manager [1] (core part of
all RHEL) has to parse human readable output of dmidecode and it is
sub-optimal. There are other projects trying to parse output of dmidecode,
e.g. py-dmidecode: https://pypi.org/project/py-dmidecode/

Thanks in advance

Jiri