[DotGNU]Re: [Arch]DotGNU and Mozilla

From: Barry Fitzgerald
Subject: [DotGNU]Re: [Arch]DotGNU and Mozilla
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 13:01:06 -0400

Jeremy Petzold wrote:

> I was thinking, how can we leverage our system onto windows?
> MS has .NET and will no doubt default to the .NET services in the
> desktop if it allows anyothers at all. then it hit me (and we may have
> decided this already)
> embed our system in Mozilla/Netscape. if we can do this, then perhaps
> ISP will have a chance to compeate with MS and AOL may lock Netscape in
> as thier Browser so that they may offer the DotGNU services through
> their software.
>
> not only will this allow us to compeate with MS on the windows platform,
> it will make DotGNU portable to any system that Mozilla is currently on.
>
> what do you all think? am I just being stupid or is this a good Idea?

The idea for a browser plug-in is a good one, but keeping it as part of
Mozilla will limit the possibilites for the client platform.

However, I'm not at all against mozilla having appropriate dotGnu
support and if that's a strategy that we can leverage - all the better.
It would also help us funnel support into Mozilla which would be a good
thing, because we need to make Mozilla reach a respectable 1.0 before
this will work. :)

Incidentally, considering netscape 6.x as a launch platform is
strategically flawed.  6.0 has a bad buzz around the net, for good
reason.

        -Barry