Re: [DotGNU]Re: What is .Net?

From: Zeph Campbell
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Re: What is .Net?
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 15:33:15 -0700

According to the little pamphlet that several of us got in the mail the
other day from Microsoft ("'One Microsoft Way' isn't just out street
address!"), .NET appears to be based around XML services, and their 'path to
XML web services' includes:

1. Windows 200 Server - for all your hosting needs *ahem*

2. The .NET Enterprise Servers, which include:

   A. Application Center 2000 to deploy and manage highly available
      and scalable Web applications;

   B. BizTalk Server 2000 to build XML-based business processes
      across applications and organizations;

   C. Commerce Server 2000 for quickly building scalable e-commerce
      solutions;

   D. Content Management Server 2001 to manage content for dynamic
      e-business Web sites;

   E. Exchange Server 2000 to enable messaging and collaboration,
      anytime, anywhere;

   F. Host Integration Server 2000 for bridging to data and applications
      on legacy systems;

   G. Internet Security and Acceleration Server 2000 for secure, fast
      Internet connectivity;

   H. Mobile Information 2001 Server to enable application support by
      mobile devices like cell phones;

   I. SharePoint Portal Server 2001 to find, share, and publish business
      information; and

   J. SQL Server 2000 to store, retrieve, and analyze structured XML data.

3. XML Web Services (Passport< and later, HailStorm)

4. XML Web Services - capable clients (WinME, WinCE, OfficeXP, Win2K
   and WinXP)

5. Developer tools and technologies, including Visual Studio .NET, SOAP
   for RPC, and of course the virtual machine, which will run a bunch
   of languages, all having access to the .NET class library.

THIS is what .NET is, more or less

Of course, http://www.microsoft.com/net/whatis.asp has a bunch of info, but
its rather scattered about the page, so I tried to make it as concise as
possible

Cheers =]

Zeph

on 7/15/01 3:09 PM, Bill Lance at address@hidden wrote:

> Thanks for you points to my earlier question.
>
> While looking through the material I can find about
> .NET, I get three sets of impressions of what it is
> about.
>
> One is that it's about distributed computing and
> network services. Applications can be assembled from
> standardized components, running on different hosts,
> at one level of the vision.  Or at the other extream,
> low-level functions, such as curreny conversions,
> provided by a http address procedure call.
>
> A second set is about .NET as a infrastructure for ASP
> services. This thread assumed that all that
> 'distributed' computing enabled in the first set,
> becomes asymetric.  Large numbers of users will will
> prefer to rely on a central, subscription service,
> rather than on each other, or on services controlled
> by the user themselves, on their own friggen networks.
>
> The third set of impressions are about a develper
> environment/tools, centered on C# and CLI and VB-NET,
> etc.  They seem to have something to do with
> implementing the first two set, but most of the
> discussion is about it vrs JAVA.
>
> Which of these is this group focused on?

------
It Compiles!  Ship it!