[DotGNU]Fwd: Compatibility is king (E-Mail from RMS)

From: Jeremy Petzold
Subject: [DotGNU]Fwd: Compatibility is king (E-Mail from RMS)
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 08:36:20 -0400

--- Begin Message --- Subject: Compatibility is king Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 05:07:16 -0600 (MDT)
    Let me explain first that it is not a design goal for the DotGNU
    platform to be fully compatible with .NET - We want the DotGNU
    platform to be much more powerful than Microsoft's VES, hence
    applications that are built for the DotGNU platform will not
    work on the .NET "Virtual Execution System".

Upward compatibility with CLI and C# is absolutely essential.
Microsoft is sure to have more users than we do--at least at the
beginning, and maybe forever unless we have a tremendous victory
(which we cannot take for granted).

So please start making compatibility a priority.

Maybe we could have an engine that will interpret two kind
of byte codes, both CLI and Java, each one compatibly.
Then maybe C# and Java programs could intercall each other.
I don't know if this is feasible, but it would be nice.

--- End Message ---