Re: [DotGNU]Believing .NET adoption rates

From: Dan Kuykendall (Seek3r)
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Believing .NET adoption rates
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 23:15:57 -0700

Ron Burk wrote:

> >The first order of business is to make something that works more-or-less
> >just like Microsoft.NET for the developers who are adopting the
> >technology.
>
> I'm not sure why you want that to be the first order of business
> unless you believe that a lot of developers are adopting the
> technology. I haven't seen any particular evidence to convince
> me personally of that fact, but it's always hard to separate
> hype from reality.

If you dont think developers are going to adopt MS.NET then you have not
been paying attention the the last 5-10 years.
Microsoft has had its share of failed concepts... but when they bet the
farm on something, they tend to get adoption.

Also, there are alot of compelling technologies in MS.NET and if we dont
provide compatible alternatives, then Microsoft will be allowed to
dominate while we spend time debating the absolute best possible
technology.

Microsoft has proven that it is not always the best technology that
wins, but often the easiest to adopt. Microsoft also has the greatest
mindshare in the corporate world, which like it or not will often be the
ones picking the direction for most of the industry.

As Brad said, the industry wanted Unix, and the GNU project was forced
into making a compatible system. What would have happened if RMS had
decided to design his own OS with his own 'best ideas'? I would venture
to say that the free software community would not be anywhere near as
successful as it is today. We would be off with our own world,
imcompatible with most systems. GNU/Linux has done well adopting the
Unix standards, flaws and all...
I dont think we should deviate from a plan that has proven to have
worked, with one that does not have such a track record.

Seek3r