Re: [DotGNU]Ignoring C#

From: Barry Fitzgerald
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Ignoring C#
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 14:34:07 -0400

Adam Theo wrote:
> i have been wondering why you need to re-create the IL/CRL stuff anyway?
> i guess this can be answered with "because we want to ensure a
> non-microsoft, 100% free software (GPL when possible) .NET alternative,
> piece by piece."
>
> i was wondering this because it seems to me that to have a distributed
> computing/web serverices platform, that you don't ned to do what java
> tried, which was have user's transfer some "write once, run everywhere"
> code. what you only need to do is keep these "components" that are
> scattered accross the net communicate in a standard (XML)
> protocol/language. that way they can share the information and
> communicate in a distributed service/subscription model without the
> cumbersomes of trying to run code (or bytecode) written on another
> machine.
>
> if i am completely missing something, please tell me.

The key here is applications.  Having applications communicate via an
XML interface is nice, but it doesn't solve the problem of creating
readily cross-compatible objectified applications.  Using a bytecode
subsystem does this for us.  Besides, you need to have a platform for
those components before they can communicate, right? :)

        -Barry