Re: [DotGNU]another volunteer

From: Charles Iliya Krempeaux
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]another volunteer
Date: 03 Aug 2001 16:46:25 -0700

Hello,

On 03 Aug 2001 23:40:39 +0200, steehf wrote:
> hi
>
> i'd like to participate dotgnu too. i can't say how much time i'll
>  be able to spend working with you guys when school's starting again
> in september, but... here i am.
>
> my main interest lies in OS development

Well, if you've got an interest in OS development, then you
might want to look at the Virtual Machine (VM) stuff.  There's
alot to work on...

     * stuff relating to .NET's IL,

     * stuff relating to Java JVM,

     * a new VM is being designing,

     * and other existing VMs have been mentioned.

> though i have a fairly deep
> background in writing cgi applications (freshmeat.net/projects/txnx)
> and implementation of all kinds of protocols (simply raw socket
> stuff).  in general i've got intermediate experience with most common
> programming languages: C, C++, perl though not java :( caml too but i
> don't think some functional language will be of significant importance
> in dotgnu.

The new VM being designed has things that functional languages would
find very useful.  I think .NET's IL even has features that make
it more friendly for optimizing things for recurrsion (... and
functional languages make alot of use of recurrsion).

> hopefully someone can tell me where to fit in.

Well, you could help with the Portable.NET subproject.  It mainly
deals with the .NET type stuff.  You could also help with the new
VM being designed.  You could also work on stuff relating to the
Java JVM... I don't think anyone is really working on that.  You
could also look at working on one of the many other VMs that
have been mentioned (previously on the mailing lists).

> im quite interested in helping with the virtual identity framework,
> anyways... you'll tell me :)

You could work on that too.  (I guess I'm a little biased towards the
VM stuff since I'm working on that :-)  )

See ya

     Charles Iliya Krempeaux