Re: [DotGNU]On Fighting patents

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]On Fighting patents
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 15:12:37 +0200

Antonio Ognio <address@hidden> wrote:

> Norbert, but this inventions must be recorded somewhere for the to be
> showed on court? I mean, you can pick a dusty diagram from your shell
> and use that?

I think it suffices for the "invention" to be "published", and
posting a description (in high-level pseudocode or whatever) of
the "invention" to one of the dotgnu.org mailing lists meets the
requirements of publication.

I'm copying Tony on this response so that he can correct me if
I'm wrong.

> I think this strategy for fighting patents in awesome but we better
> publish the work as free software or under some free documentation
> license. isn't it?

Even independant of the pantent threats, all ideas that get
written down ought to be posted for discussion, because that
helps to move the project forward.

I agree that using a Free Documentation license for this is a
very good idea.

Greetings, Norbert.

--
A member of FreeDevelopers and the DotGNU Steering Committee: dotgnu.org
Tel +41 1 972 20 59       Fax +41 1 972 20 69      http://thinkcoach.com