Re: [DotGNU]System.Threading

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]System.Threading
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 22:09:29 +1000

Abhaya Agarwals wrote:

> Gopal said that no internal method should come up in the pnetlib but what
> about these from System.Threading.Thread :

There is much confusion going on here.  There are lots and
lots of InternalCall's under "System".  It's basically a matter
of where I think the best fit will be.  The "native.html" file
contains a description of the split, but it is vague enough to
be interpreted almost any way.

There's really no ironclad rule other than "if you can't figure
out where to put it, ask me, and the decision is final". :-)

In the case of threading, I arbitrarily decided that shifting it
out of "System" would simply introduce too much indirection
and hence it wasn't worth the effort.  In the case of file
operations, I decided that the indirection would actually
make things cleaner, and so it was worth it.

Blanket rules like "everything platform-specific goes in
Platform" fail very quickly.  What is platform-specific
anyway?  Is threading platform-specific because the
underlying implementation is different, or is it common
because every engine must implement precisely the same
thread semantics regardless of how the underlying system
does it?  I don't know.  Toss a coin.  It's what I did. :-)

If anyone can come up with a logical way to define the
distinction, I'm all ears.  If not, we might as well wrap
everything back into "System" and eliminate "Platform".