Re: [DotGNU]pnetlib platform dep?

From: S11001001
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]pnetlib platform dep?
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 11:37:57 -0600

Rhys Weatherley wrote:
S11001001 wrote:
so my question is about things that are platform-specific, but not implying
that their specificity requires internal impl. So should I stick a
[MethodImpl(MethodImplOptions.InternalCall)] on it, or what?

There should already be support for this particular thing
in the system.  See "System.IO.Path" for characters that
can be used as directory separators.  These are already
handled using InternalCall's in "Platform.DirMethods".
So, it should be possible to implement "Uri.LocalPath"
completely in C#.

What I'm really asking here includes other things. For example,
System.Uri.IsBadFileSystemCharacter is also something like that. Things
like threading support rely on native calls. However, C# can, with the
help of the compiler, TECHNICALLY handle some things by itself.

For example, because we have preprocessor, I could do with this:

#if defined(WINDOWS)
// check against list of valid windows characters
#elsif defined(GNU)
// check against longer list of valid ext2 characters
#endif

Once again, the availability of multiple filesystems may null this case as well. But the question still stands. I do not want to add more internal calls than are really needed. However, if it would be simpler to just to internal calls in this case, I want to add it in there and take it off [TODO].

--
> What does ELF stand for (in respect to Linux?)
ELF is the first rock group that Ronnie James Dio performed with back in
the early 1970's.  In constrast, a.out is a misspelling  of the French word
for the month of August.  What the two have in common is beyond me, but
Linux users seem to use the two words together.
        -- seen on c.o.l.misc