[DotGNU]2nd/3rd session summary

From: S11001001
Subject: [DotGNU]2nd/3rd session summary
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 21:43:41 -0600

I apologise for not having complete logs...thanks to sbp for these, BTW

session 1 note: I wasn't really there....

the Players: David Sugar, Gopal.V, John Le'Brecage, Mark Peters, Barry Fitzgerald, me, Norbert Bollow, Miles Lott, Sean Palmer, Daniel Baumann, sorry if I forgot you

We open with an argument between Gopal.V, Bill Lance, and ^CareBear about the architecture. ^CareBear says: "I've only had bad thoughts of DotGNU until I visited this channel today, heh, cause after I read the website the first time I almost laughed". Gopal.V: "I think it will scare any developers not *true* to the free software idea". Then there was talk about the shortage of developers and lack of publicity, and FS licenses.

I believe ^CareBear expressed interest in building proprietary apps for the platform, and he/she was assured that there would be no licensing problem. However, he/she did not appear confident..."that's what their supposed to do (compete w/.NET) .. it won't happen, but something good could possibly get out of it all". lstrcmpi stepped in and defended the DotGNU idea, comparing it to successful FS projects Linux and Apache. Daniel Baumann of GNUe complained "dotgnu is GNU's poster child as of late...and other projects get the shaft" Anyway, you get the idea...

Lull in conversation...
Nice conversation about Darwin, WinXP, GNU

Norbert returns and conversation turns to VRS and SEE/DEE. Then, there is an argument about RPC, which turns into an argument about XML, HTTP, and WebServices. Bill Lance posts the link to the VRS page (http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/VRS/) about 15 times from this point on. So I say, after a little side chat with Gopal.V, "OK, I would like your attention for just one second. I apologise for interrupting chatting, but this will be fun ;)...". Next are introductions of Norbert Bollow, Barry Fitzgerald, Gopal.V (pnet), Bill Lance (VRS), David Sugar, John Le'Brecage (auth), Mark Peters and Miles Lott (phpgw), with sidetracking into their respective projects not only providing some structure to the chat, but bringing us from 2020GMT to the end of the 3rd session.

Sorry for not knowing when one session ended and the other began, I only got here at 1900GMT. We Americans love our weekend sleep :) in contrast to Gopal.V, who stayed on from last evening CDT to after his introduction (cue oohs and ahhs).

--
Personally, I think my choice in the mostest-superlative-computer wars has to
be the HP-48 series of calculators.  They'll run almost anything.  And if they
can't, while I'll just plug a Linux box into the serial port and load up the
HP-48 VT-100 emulator.
        -- Jeff Dege, address@hidden
Start of #dotgnu buffer: Sat Mar 16 20:26:04 2002
*** Now talking in #dotgnu
<bill_lance> ^CareBear:  This would be packaged as a DataSet consisting of the
id
  data, and pnet IL code to verify the asker and provide it
-vinge.openprojects.net:#dotgnu- earlie (address@hidden
  t) left the channel
<t3rmin4t0r> that's where I got the RFC number
<skeeter> that's the problem... don't chunk_split() it out...
<Milosch> chunk_what?
<skeeter> at least for the auth
<t3rmin4t0r> in /var/www/html/manual/mod/mod_php4/function.chunk-split.html
<^CareBear> peer2peer systems looks like an awesome way of doing stuff, all of
you
  should read this article:
http://www.sciam.com/2002/0302issue/0302anderson.html
<bill_lance> ^CareBear:  You may wish to read the draft docs on the VRS at:
  http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/VRS/
<Milosch> $credentials = 'Authorization: Basic ' . base64_encode($username .
':' .
  $password) . "\r\n";
-vinge.openprojects.net:#dotgnu- earlie (address@hidden
  t) joined the channel
<bill_lance> ^CareBear:  that is what VRS is all about
<Milosch> this method is within the XML-RPC for php dist, and phpgw
<^CareBear> ah, NOW I understand what VRS means .. hehe
<t3rmin4t0r> # format $data using RFC 2045 semantics
<t3rmin4t0r> $new_string = chunk_split (base64_encode($data));
<t3rmin4t0r> is what the docs says
<t3rmin4t0r> php's default base64encode dosen't use it
<Milosch> oops, never heard of chunk_split...
-vinge.openprojects.net:#dotgnu- stline (address@hidden) joined the channel
<Milosch> so.. ;)
<Milosch> no wonder it works for me ;)
<t3rmin4t0r> but python's does (and it took me 2 days to figure it out)
<t3rmin4t0r> Milosch: I used chunk_split when I did a small websmail stuff
<t3rmin4t0r> for the attatchments
<^CareBear> VRS is the future but it will take some effort and time
<Milosch> my little mod for perl Frontier does the same thing...
<^CareBear> bill_lance, seen the Terrarium game?
<bill_lance> ^CareBear:  Tell me about it  :(      Want to help?
<^CareBear> I have enough of my own work & personal projects :)
<t3rmin4t0r> ^CareBear: I think he meant ideas on the mailing list
<^CareBear> but bill_lance, seen terrarium?
-vinge.openprojects.net:#dotgnu- spectra_cruz_alta (address@hidden) joined
  the channel
<bill_lance> ^CareBear:  Ya, well, I saw an article and adds about it.
<<sigh>>
  Ya, I wish we could do that now too.
<^CareBear> t3rmin4t0r, I already got hundreds of list messages each day ...
maybe
  in the future ;)
* t3rmin4t0r clocks at about 72 a day
<Milosch> brb
<^CareBear> bill_lance, yepp it looks neat I just wish I could run it here ..
but
  due to ISP router & firewall setup it's impossible :-|
<bill_lance> ^CareBear:  When Pnet's running, we should be about todo similar
things
<nymia> hello
<nymia> quick treecc question...
<t3rmin4t0r> yes,
<skeeter> is someone logging this?
<^CareBear> http://www.gotdotnet.com/terrarium/whatis/  <-- bill_lance, that's
just
  what you need .. so instead of "bugs" running around on the screen, you
  distribute Web Services and other code to each peer :)
<t3rmin4t0r> yes, but the logs are unreachable
<t3rmin4t0r> at least now
<t3rmin4t0r> skeeter: can you arrange a bot ?
<t3rmin4t0r> and put the logs online
* t3rmin4t0r can't find where the logs are written by _scribe_
<skeeter> I don't have a logging bot... Milosch?
<^CareBear> bill_lance, you think you can make it work behind weird router
setup
  and firewalls?
<t3rmin4t0r> nymia: what was that question ?
<spectra_cruz_alta> ALL: who are the moderators and what is the current topic
of
  the discussion?
<bill_lance> ^CareBear:  I don't basically have a problem with IL, other than
it's
  Windows OS centric.  I DO have a problem with central servers
<nymia> waitasec...
<t3rmin4t0r> no moderators , and the topic is currently unset
<bill_lance> ^CareBear:  You mean make VRS work through a firewall?
<^CareBear> bill_lance, why did you bring up central servers? ...
<dyfet> spectra_cruz_alta: the first part of the meet-athon is really an open
  discussion, there are seperate focused discussions later this afternoon and
  evening (speaking east coast time :)
<t3rmin4t0r> dyfet: hi
<^CareBear> as Terrarium is a peer2peer solution proving the concept possible
<spectra_cruz_alta> dyfet: Where can I get the "program"?
<bill_lance> ^CareBear:  I was just thinking of Terrium
<t3rmin4t0r> spectra_cruz_alta: ????
<t3rmin4t0r> oh the schedule ?
<^CareBear> it doesn't use a central server, or it uses some for discovery but
  that's all
<spectra_cruz_alta> t3rmin4t0r: yep. the schedule (I am not a native english
  speaker... sorry).
* t3rmin4t0r had tried to put it on Slashdot but fizzled out
<bill_lance> ^CareBear:  Ah .. Is see.  Don't know the deatails of it.  If it's
  pure p2p, what MS's hook into it?
<t3rmin4t0r> spectra_cruz_alta: me neither
<spectra_cruz_alta> t3rmin4t0r: :-)
<^CareBear> bill_lance, it's very tempting with a peer2peer type solution, but
it's
  a to new idea that I haven't seen to much of today so I won't dare to do that
  against our customers machines
<dyfet> spectra_cruz_alta: it was posted on the mailing list and on Linux
Today.
  I had to look it up myself :)  The first 12 hours (gmt based) is open topic
<bill_lance> ^CareBear: ?   You lost me
<^CareBear> bill_lance, just said I don't see us (where I work) doing p2p until
  it's more widely used and proven as a useable platform
<t3rmin4t0r> Schedule
http://subscribe.dotgnu.org/pipermail/developers/2002-March/00
  2250.html
<spectra_cruz_alta> t3rmin4t0r: thanx... I'm going to retrieve that.
<^CareBear> bill_lance, back to terrarium, they wanted to have it 100% pure p2p
(no
  central server at ALL) but they found it impossible or to hard so they have a
  central server that all peers "pings" when their ready to recieve code from
the
  other peers
<Milosch> have to leave, will be back in a few hours...
<t3rmin4t0r> bye Milosch
<bill_lance> ^CareBear:  That's certainly understandable.  But we are on the
  reasearch edge here  :)   I always preffered the labs  :0
<dyfet> t3rmin4t0r: excelland, I was just looking for that....
<t3rmin4t0r> dyfet: afterall I posted that ;)
<^CareBear> bill_lance, I haven't done much reading on p2p, but the Terrarium
  system is something you should really look into if you haven't yet, as it's a
  live-working-modell of the whole framework you guys need for dotGnu
<bill_lance> ^CareBear:  I will
-vinge.openprojects.net:#dotgnu- SidNL (address@hidden)
  joined the channel
<^CareBear> http://www.gotdotnet.com/terrarium/server/  <- fat, I can even host
  Terrarium server locally .. whee, gotta download :)
<dyfet> t3rmin4t0r: yes, it was a bit hard to find.  We probably should have
had it
  up on the dotgnu web site :).  When Norbert gets back, maybe he can add a
quick
  link for that.
<t3rmin4t0r> dyfet: can you change the topic here ?
<bill_lance> ^CareBear:  Is ther a linux client?
<dyfet> t3rmin4t0r: I dont believe I had op
<t3rmin4t0r> ok
<spectra_cruz_alta> t3rmin4t0r, dyfet: When the first block will begin?
<^CareBear> no, really don't think so
<t3rmin4t0r> began abt 6 hours ago
<bill_lance> ^CareBear:     hehe    thought that might be the case.
<dyfet> I think he means the first focused group
<^CareBear> bill_lance, if you have access to a Windows PC I suggest you watch
this
  to learn more about the details behind Terrarium and you'll learn about some
of
  the problems Microsoft faced when they built the p2p platform:
  http://msdn.microsoft.com/theshow/Episode021/default.asp
<bill_lance> ^CareBear:  Do you think there ever will be?
<t3rmin4t0r> ok, that will be 10 PM GMT Saturday (timezones,timezones...)
<spectra_cruz_alta> t3rmin4t0r: ok... soh after the next 6 hours, the
topic-only
  discussion will begin... is that right?
<^CareBear> not sure .. Terrarium will just be running for a little while I
think,
  I don't think Microsoft will be running the game for ethernity .. but I don't
  know, maybe there will be
<t3rmin4t0r> no, after tthe first 12 hours, ie 6 hours from now
<bill_lance> ^CareBear:  I do keep a win98 machine on my het for games.  :)
<spectra_cruz_alta> t3rmin4t0r: yep... that's what I meant.
<^CareBear> I wounder what Microsoft is going to use the p2p platform for ... i
  mean, they can't be using it ONLY for a game :)
<spectra_cruz_alta> ALL; thanx... be back in 5 hours.
<^CareBear> bill_lance, then check that .NET Show .. it's really great
<dyfet> I have to go for a bit also...
<t3rmin4t0r> ok
<bill_lance> ^CareBear:  I don't know, but I can be sure it will be something
  damaging to everybody else
* t3rmin4t0r too , I'm just here to "SEE" ;)
<^CareBear> "Terrarium is a multiplayer ecosystem game developed using the .NET
  Framework. Developers can create their own creatures and add them into the
game
  on their own client machine." .. no difference if you had different
WebServices
  instead of creatures
<bill_lance> ^CareBear:  That's the kind of thought we have with VRS.  Although
  that can be done on single standing servers just as well
<^CareBear> how will that be possible? .. how do you discover new clients?
<^CareBear> the SEE is important to yes.. will it be modelled upon the Code
Access
  Security in .NET or?
<t3rmin4t0r> The SEE will implement a set of security check call backs
<t3rmin4t0r> and we've not read any *unpublished* information on MSDN
<t3rmin4t0r> about CAS
<^CareBear> what you mean?..
<t3rmin4t0r> the MSDN article said that "this is unpublished information"
<^CareBear> only 3 developers working on SEE?
<^CareBear> heh
<t3rmin4t0r> same for .NET beta docs
<t3rmin4t0r> ^CareBear: actually nobody working fulltime on SEE
<t3rmin4t0r> It's at stub level
<^CareBear> but SEE is the single most important thing of the whole DotGNU idea?
<t3rmin4t0r> yes, It's the most complicated stuff as well
<^CareBear> yeh, so why only 3 developers and nobody working fulltime?
<^CareBear> how many people are active contributers on DotGNU?
<t3rmin4t0r> the lack of publicity of DotGNU is causing a drought of developers
<^CareBear> I've only had bad thoughts of DotGNU until I visited this channel
  today, heh, cause after I read the website the first time I almost laughed
<t3rmin4t0r> pass that joke please ;)
<bill_lance> ^CareBear:  Sorry  got called to the phone,
<^CareBear> everything seems to hostile against any Microsoft and .NET, which I
  think do scare alot of very good developers from the whole idea
-vinge.openprojects.net:#dotgnu- kefka (address@hidden
  t) joined the channel
<bill_lance> ^CareBear:  There is that sentiment...
<t3rmin4t0r> I think it will scare any developers not *true* to the free
software
  idea
<bill_lance> ^CareBear:  If the technology developed here works, it will be
  available to everybody.  Look what's happened with Linux kernel
<^CareBear> I don't have any "true" free software developer friends, but I have
  loads who do multi-platform development, both on OS and language
<^CareBear> I've personally developed on Linux, Mac and Windows, but only Perl
&
  PHP on Linux, while both web, webservices & rich clients on Mac and Windows
<kn4l> I not hostile to MSFt, just wary. ;)
<chillywilly> lack of publicity?
<^CareBear> I wounder what would happen if PHP got GPL'ed :)
<chillywilly> it seems to me that dotgnu is GNU's poster child as of late
<chillywilly> and other projects get the shaft
<bill_lance> ^CareBear:  MS has caused, and continues to cause, an increadable
  amount of damage.  Why do people find it offensive that we object to that and
are
  trying to correct it?
<chillywilly> but that's my opinion :P
* chillywilly is away: I'm busy
<bill_lance> brb ... dog nneds out
*** Topic is '<S11001001:#dotgnu> things are heating up on [bizplan] :)'
*** Set by ChanServ on Wed Mar 06 18:53:11
<^CareBear> bill_lance, I just see offensive and hostile attitude against
someone
  who you are "copying" the idea from not beeing a good way of drawing
attentition
  from developers
<kn4l> The new technology from MSFT appears to be good, so why shouldn't we
support
  that aspect of it?  However, we can oppose some of their tactics.
*** kefka has joined #dotgnu
<^CareBear> you guys know that the .NET My Services will be available for local
  installation and hosting wherever you'd like?
<bill_lance> ^CareBear:  No doubt your right.  Some times I find my feelings
about
  MS over the bank.  But I remain appaled and frightened by their intent.
<davi> ^CareBear: Do you think that PHP must not GPL'ed?. Have I understood
rightly?
<davi> s/not /not get/
<^CareBear> davi, it was dual licenced in version 3, but not anymore so it's
only
  under a PHP licence now, no more GPL :-|
*** metric has quit IRC (Read error: 110 (Connection timed out))
<^CareBear> does GPL proponents mean it's the only and true way of licencing?
<davi> ^CareBear: I think now that you agree with me that this situation is
worse
  than previous one.
<^CareBear> davi .. not following you.. :)
<davi> ^CareBear: GPL is not the 'one way' however I think that is the best way
  avoid turn into propietary a product.
<^CareBear> oki
<davi> This is my oppinion.
<^CareBear> hehe, "Don't read unpublished Microsoft information" .. I guess I
can't
  contribute to the DotGNU project as I have accepted quite a few licences on
  microsoft.com ;)
<davi> s/oppinion/opinion
<bill_lance> ^CareBear:  The GPL remains the one way that a developer can be
  confient that their contributions remain open and available
<davi> bill_lance: I agree with you
<sbp> N.B. there are plenty of FS compatible lisences... not just GPL
<bill_lance> ^CareBear: That may be a real danger.
<davi> sbp: for example?
<sbp> zooko made a table: http://www.zooko.com/license_quick_ref.html
<sbp> to quote: """Some members of the community refuse to accept GPL'ed source
  code into their projects, although other members of the community strongly
prefer
  GPL'ed source code over other licenses. Contrast with code under BSD-etal.,
LGPL,
  or Mozilla PL 1.1, which nobody refuses to accept."""
<^CareBear> I wish PHP could get GPL'ed :) .. ooh..I guess alot of people would
be
  mad about that ;)
<^CareBear> bill_lance, if you stole something from me and used it in DotGNU,
would
  there be any violation then?
<^CareBear> other than the fact that you stole something from me
<davi> sbp: I think that the LGPL license must be used in some cases, but when
  posible I would use GPL to avoid propietary ... as with BSD.
<bill_lance> ^CareBear:  If I stole something from you, there would be a
violation
  of your rights, no matter what license i claimed
<sbp> yeah; that's the kind of desicison that has to be made before you start a
  project - whether or not you're going to let people resell the ideas in their
own
  apps. And it's a tough choice sometimes
<^CareBear> bill_lance .. but if I don't charge you or anything? :)
<bill_lance> ^CareBear: You have the right to decide what you want to do with
your
  code.
*** s3gfault has joined #dotgnu
<bill_lance> ^CareBear:  So do the GPL developers
*** t3rmin4t0r has quit IRC (Read error: 110 (Connection timed out))
<bill_lance> ^CareBear:  I no more have a right to steal your stuff and GPL it,
as
  you would to steal GPL code and propriotize it
<^CareBear> but I can't really contribute to DotGNU due to some of the
Microsoft
  licences, like the Shared Source one or was it something else .. that
probithed
  the involvement in GPL projects as it could force Microsoft to expose some of
  their code .. which is all just SILLY and STUPID .. but, who cares
<kn4l> You might be able to contribute in some ways.  Testing, for example.
<bill_lance> ^CareBear:  Don't you care?
<^CareBear> never cared, hence the nick :)
<^CareBear> testing is for lamas, I'm a architect and developer  ;)
<^CareBear> an even.. hm.
<^CareBear> my english suck like no others
<sbp> heh
<bill_lance> ^CareBear:  Well you may be stuck then.  However, one good thing
could
  come of it.
<^CareBear> bill_lance, what's the timeline for DotGnu?
<^CareBear> I see it was founded in 2001, what have been achived since then and
how
  does the future look?
<bill_lance> ^CareBear:  Same as any LibreSoftware project, I guess,  When it's
  ready
<^CareBear> I just come to think of all the other advancements Microsoft is
going
  to include into the .NET framework as the years go by, and it could possibly
be
  very hard to keep up
<davi> bill_lance: What moduls, subproject has source code right now?
<^CareBear> right now the .NET framework is very new and not feature-complete
yet
<kn4l> ^CareBear: Advancements == Evil tricks ;)
<bill_lance> ^CareBear:  It would really be helpful to us if we had a very hard
  example of a developer prevented to do LibreSoftware development due to MS
  licensses and agreements
<bill_lance> ^CareBear: Can you say that describes your situation?
<^CareBear> kn4l, advacements = multiple inheretence, native support for MSMQ,
and
  so forth .. there are alot of stuff right now where you have to use COM
interop
  which is not the idea behind .NET, but it misses stuff
<^CareBear> bill_lance, if I want to contribute on DotGNU I do it nomatter
what, MS
  won't be getting anywhere
<kn4l> ^CareBear: I'm sure they'll be great, but I contend that many of their
  advancements in the past have had less than altruistic motivations.  That is,
  let's break RealAudio at the same time we give ours away for free.
*** foxdragonx has joined #dotgnu
*** ath has quit IRC ("Client Exiting")
<bill_lance> davi:  I'm not the one to ask this, but I believe that pnet is the
  most developed central project with working code.  VRS does not have code
yet.
  We are still sritecturing
<^CareBear> kn4l, when I think of .NET I mainly think about the .NET Framework
and
  not all the other stuff around like .NET Enterprise Servers, .NET Passport,
.NET
  My Services, it's the framework and development tools I'm interrested in and
  that's a whole different world
<bill_lance> ^CareBear:  THere should be areas where your .NET exposure would
not
  be relevant
<kn4l> Yes, but you can be sure they're arranging it so if you use some of
those
  things, you'll be "subtly coerced" into using them all.
<davi> bill_lance: ok
<^CareBear> bill_lance, yepp I'm pretty sure, I'm very deep into all the .NET
stuff
  ..
<^CareBear> will GPL be the only licence DotGNU will work under? .. LGPL or
what
  was the name .. I mean, can I develop my own services and stuff on top of the
  DotGNU framework without any trouble?
<kn4l> For example, VS.NET works really well for the developer if you're using
MSFT
  SQL Server (you can browse the server, drag over databases or whatever).  It
  doesn't work well with mysql, or postgresql I bet :)
* kn4l idles.. exercise / shower / food.
<bill_lance> ^CareBear: LGPL works here just fine.
<bill_lance> ^CareBear:  Basically, we are all working to bring the same
  development tools of the reat of the world without the damage.
<^CareBear> kn4l, the odcb driver makes it easy to work against other DB
plattforms
  and Microsoft is working on native Oracle driver for .NET, the server
explorer
  will most likely require the thirdparty to develop and extention to VS.NET
(which
  is very extensible) .. I don't think Microsoft would add support for things
like
  mysql out-of-the-box, as it's very different from MSSQL and it wouldn't
really
  make Microsoft sell more software, and it would require microso
<^CareBear> develop an .. not and
<^CareBear> Microsoft diden't add support for COBOL, Perl or Python in VS.NET,
but
  made it possible for third party providers to do it, the same thing is
possible
  with the Server Explorer
<kn4l> I would think enhancements to mysql and postgresql that made them work
with
  server explorer would be popular.
<^CareBear> that's right kn4l, but it's nothing you will ever see from
Microsoft,
  that wouldn't make sense
*** earlie has joined #dotgnu
<kn4l> I'm curious if the ActiveState Python works as completely as C# or
VB.NET.
*** brainless has joined #dotgnu
<kn4l> Anyhow, I'm running up against a deadline, I'll be back later today. :)
<brainless> hey all
<earlie> I have yet to use dev studio .net
<^CareBear> I don't remember what language it was, but one of the new languages
for
  .NET supports multiple inheretence, something not even C# supports (the .NET
  framework even)
*** chilan has quit IRC ("BitchX-1.0c18 -- just do it.")
<^CareBear> VB.NET supports things C# don't, and visa-verca
<^CareBear> versa
<^CareBear>  : )
<davi> ^CareBear: I have heard that multiple inheretence is dangerous
<^CareBear> davi, from a stupid person?
<davi> :)
<davi> no coment
<bill_lance> Must sign off a while.  Back later.  Bye all,   and hope you
decide to
  visit us again Carebear
<brainless> forgive my ignorence, but are we doing this dotgnu project to serve
as
  a competition to .NET?
<^CareBear> multiple inheretence requires skills and it can make your code
harder
  to read, but that's not the primary reasons it's not included in the .NET
  framework
<^CareBear> bye bill_lance & kn4l :)
<^CareBear> later
<^CareBear> <- not going yet
*** bill_lance has left #dotgnu ("Client Exiting")
<^CareBear> brainless, that's what their supposed to do .. it won't happen, but
  something good could possibly get out of it all
<davi> ^CareBear: What is the primary reason?
<^CareBear> like the SEE, VRS, and WebServices
<brainless> ^CareBear: well then we need something more than good programs. we
need
  financial backup, sponsors, advertisers and VC's ...
<^CareBear> davi, I don't remember exactly, but some of it was speed
<davi> ok
<brainless> coz i firmly believe, to beat Microsoft we need to market products
the
  way M$ does. The present marketing strategy just won't suffice the task
<^CareBear> they diden't feel it was that important for most developers so to
make
  it easier on themselfs they diden't implement it, but they are considering it
for
  a future upgrade for C#
* Looking up ^CareBear user info...
*** earlie has quit IRC
<^CareBear> brainless, the current "marketing" of DotGNU doesn't even bring
  developers onboard as I have understood which is basicly the first task of
any
  project
<alexh> You can do MI with interfaces, supposedly.
<brainless> ^CareBear: i am speaking of the future. once we complete
  DotGNU......what we need to do next.
<^CareBear> well.. interfaces doesn't inherent implementation ..
<^CareBear> brainless, DotGNU will never be finnished, at the Microsoft .NET
  framework never will be
<brainless> but be4 that we need to convince people about the enormous
potential
  our project contains....
<^CareBear> did COM ever get finnished? .. nah, it was upgraded and advanced
  multiple times, just as everything
<alexh> ^CareBear: no, but you can aggregate functionality
<brainless> okay i mean when DotGNU is ready to be used as a base for other
  developers
<^CareBear> brainless, I think it's a to big task compete with Microsoft's .NET
  vision, it's virtually impossible, but the VRS, IDsec, SEE and WebServices
are
  good ideas that should be prioritized
<^CareBear> and the Pnet of course to run everything
<lstrcmpi> brainless: what do you intend of doing? i think that if DotGNU will
be
  part of linux in the way .NET is becmoing part of the next line of windows,
it
  we'll suceed. that is using the "ms strategy" and still staying clean without
the
  need for (yak yak) money.
<brainless> ^CareBear: i need to update my knowledge on that.....so can't
comment
<brainless> lstrcmpi: u mean to say we shall be doing all this free of cost?
<lstrcmpi> ^CareBear: the VRS, in my opinion, is a great idea, and it should be
  done, asap, i wish to work on it, if possible.
<lstrcmpi> brainless: ofcourse.
<^CareBear> brainless, DotGNU can't compete with Microsoft on .NET Enterprise
  Servers, that's one of the points that is virtually impossible to compete on
<brainless> lstrcmpi: then i am sorry to say we are adopting some wrong path.
  history has umpteen examples of what happens when potentially good SDK's and
  OS'es are offered free of cost.
<brainless> ^CareBear: not direct competition to M$, but atleast we are
offering a
  substitute to M$ products
<^CareBear> lstrcmpi, I showed mr bill_lance some resources on the Terrarium
game
  project my Microsoft, which is a real and live p2p platform, it's something
all
  VRS developers should take a look at
<^CareBear> brainless, it's impossible
<lstrcmpi> ^CareBear: why? i don't see any reason why. the good thing about
  Net/DotGNU is that it's about the internet. hence it has alot in common with
  linux two greatest products - Itself and Apache.
<brainless> ^CareBear: impossible in what context?
<lstrcmpi> ^CareBear: i think we should all look at the latest researches on
  distirubted networks.
*** pep|borta is now known as peppo
<^CareBear> impossible to create competing solutions like the .NET Enterprise
  Servers without being IBM or Sun or Oracle
<lstrcmpi> ^CareBear : i really don't think. it is possible.
<^CareBear> lstrcmpi, yepp and Microsoft Research are doing some great stuff on
p2p
  stuff
<lstrcmpi> ^CareBear: how do you know that?
<brainless> ^CareBear: i think it's possible provided we get the best of minds
and
  the right management to handle everything
<^CareBear> lstrcmpi, show me a decent replacement for: Commerce Server,
Exchange
  Server, Mobile Information Service, SharePoint Portal Server and BizTalk
Server
*** diotalevi has left #dotgnu ("Client Exiting")
*** foxdragonx has quit IRC ("Download Gaim [http://gaim.sourceforge.net/]";)
*** foxdragonx has joined #dotgnu
<^CareBear> and that's not all...
*** Disconnected
*** Attempting to rejoin...
*** Rejoined channel #dotgnu
[...]
-dircproxy:#dotgnu- You connected
<^CareBear> bill_lance, I just see offensive and hostile
  attitude against someone who you are "copying" the idea from
  not beeing a good way of drawing attentition from developers
<kn4l> The new technology from MSFT appears to be good, so why
  shouldn't we support that aspect of it?  However, we can
  oppose some of their tactics.
-vinge.openprojects.net:#dotgnu- kefka (address@hidden
  aren301.mi.comcast.net) joined the channel
<^CareBear> you guys know that the .NET My Services will be
  available for local installation and hosting wherever you'd
  like?
<bill_lance> ^CareBear:  No doubt your right.  Some times I
  find my feelings about MS over the bank.  But I remain
  appaled and frightened by their intent.
<davi> ^CareBear: Do you think that PHP must not GPL'ed?. Have
  I understood rightly?
<davi> s/not /not get/
<^CareBear> davi, it was dual licenced in version 3, but not
  anymore so it's only under a PHP licence now, no more GPL :-|
<^CareBear> does GPL proponents mean it's the only and true
  way of licencing?
<davi> ^CareBear: I think now that you agree with me that this
  situation is worse than previous one.
<^CareBear> davi .. not following you.. :)
<davi> ^CareBear: GPL is not the 'one way' however I think
  that is the best way to avoid turn into propietary a product.
[...]
-vinge.openprojects.net:#dotgnu- s3gfault (address@hidden
  -lan.net) joined the channel
[...]
-vinge.openprojects.net:#dotgnu- foxdragonx (address@hidden
  194-23-181.nyc.ny.metconnect.net) joined the channel
[...]
  73.cmngga.adelphia.net) joined the channel
<kn4l> I'm curious if the ActiveState Python works as
  completely as C# or VB.NET.
-vinge.openprojects.net:#dotgnu- brainless (address@hidden
  m-203.94.225.109.bol.net.in) joined the channel
[...]
-vinge.openprojects.net:#dotgnu- bill_lance (address@hidden
  blic-23.mtp.power-net.net) left the channel
[...]
-vinge.openprojects.net:#dotgnu- diotalevi (address@hidden
  23o1068.telia.com) left the channel
-vinge.openprojects.net:#dotgnu- foxdragonx (address@hidden
  194-23-181.nyc.ny.metconnect.net) joined the channel
<^CareBear> and that's not all...
-vinge.openprojects.net:#dotgnu- assum (address@hidden)
  joined the channel
-vinge.openprojects.net:#dotgnu- ctooley (address@hidden
  09-122.dsl.austtx.swbell.net) joined the channel
<brainless> well ^CareBear i gtg now for dinner. Lets hope we
  meet sometime soon :)
-vinge.openprojects.net:#dotgnu- brainless (address@hidden
  m-203.94.225.109.bol.net.in) left the channel
*** Topic is '<S11001001:#dotgnu> things are heating up on
[bizplan] :)'
*** Set by ChanServ on Wed Mar 06 18:53:11
*** psiXaos has joined #dotGNU
<^CareBear> I don't think we will ever see free implementation of servers of
that
  kind, it just won't happen .. it's like, suddenly should all SAP & Siebel
systems
  be GPL'ed and free? ..
<lstrcmpi> ^CareBear: Building a Mobile Info Service can be done easily, an
  Exchange Server is a nice mail server plus the BackOffice options, and all of
  that we have in linux, maybe not in one product but it could be gathered
together.
<lstrcmpi> what is the SharePoint Portal Server?
<alexh> ^CareBear: no, but you can aggregate functionality
<^CareBear> document-management
<lstrcmpi> hmm - atleast there'll be an option.
<alexh> rw, sorry.....
<psiXaos> I have a problem with time zones. When is the meeting with respect to
  now???
*** phi_1020 has joined #dotgnu
<^CareBear> anyway, I think it's silly to try to compete on that level against
  Microsoft, I don't think anyone is really earnt with it, I would much rather
see
  SEE and VRS
<lstrcmpi> ^CareBear: as far as for now - that is what interest me most - the
  framework [the CLR, writing one is a dreamer] and p2p. i guess you're too.
*** erik_ has joined #dotgnu
*** t3rmin4t0r has joined #dotgnu
<^CareBear> http://www.sap.com/  <-- SAP for instance have released their
database
  under GPL I think, which is a huge-ass DB system which is in my opinion a
more
  decent DB platform than MySQL ever will be, and I don't think SAP would ever
do
  something similar like that if we all begun creating highly competing products
<^CareBear> there will always be open and free and always be closed and
commercial
  software around, trying to compete is silly, trying to co-exists is the future
<alexh> Commercial != closed.
<^CareBear> alexh, I know but you get my idea
<alexh> I would be surprised if proprietary software was willing to co-exist
with
  Free, though
<lstrcmpi> alexh: I would be suprised if any realy money came from the formula
*** phi_1020 has left #dotgnu
*** iive has joined #dotgnu
<alexh> SAP, for example, had a DB which was essentially Adabas. Applauding
them
  for releasing it is to applaud nothing: they did very little to it.
<t3rmin4t0r> this looks the repeated until redundant "Free vs Closed" .
<lstrcmpi> t3r: more of "Commercial vs Open"
<t3rmin4t0r> I have seen a Commercial Open Software
<t3rmin4t0r> in DotGNU itself
<t3rmin4t0r> IIRc,PhpGroupware is commercially supported
<t3rmin4t0r> anyway, I've gotta go
* t3rmin4t0r is hungry ;)
<t3rmin4t0r> bye
<t3rmin4t0r> bbbl
*** t3rmin4t0r has left #dotgnu ("Client Exiting")
*** peppo has left #dotgnu ("JA HÄRR DÅKKTOR")
*** foxdragonx has left #dotgnu
*** alexh has quit IRC ("bbl")
*** pepeillo has joined #dotgnu
*** eeyore has joined #dotgnu
*** bill_lance has joined #dotgnu
*** nomadicfu has quit IRC ("Client Exiting")
<bill_lance> Hello, all
*** twanger has joined #dotgnu
<eeyore> hello
<pepeillo> Hi
<twanger> hi
<bill_lance> Anyone know when the next scheduled fest is?
<eeyore> I'm not sure -- just got here, was wondering where the conversation
went
  =)
<bill_lance> On the four hour cycle
<psiXaos> Where is that Meet-a-thlon ?
*** assum has quit IRC ("chalgasux")
<bill_lance> It is one this channel, but on a four hour cycle
<psiXaos> And now is a break?
<nymia> maybe this is a dumb question, how is mono doing compared with dotGNU?
<bill_lance> HUmm   let me see  It started at 10AM GMT in four hour cycles
after
  that.  Where would that put it now?
<pepeillo> A question: Is there any project to implement XForms o another
similar
  technology for graph interface?
<psiXaos> nymia: mono is a subset of dotGNU.
<bill_lance> nymia: Not dumb at all.  The Mono project overlaps  with the PNet
  project
<eeyore> psiXaos:  mono is a totally separate project
<eeyore> mono is a Ximian project
<psiXaos> nymia: I know. I said in content
<eeyore> ah -- sorry
*** Disconnected
*** Attempting to rejoin...
*** Rejoined channel #dotgnu
<^CareBear> absurd .. hehe .. you see what I mean, please quit
  using .NET as a whole .. it's to hard to understand it
<absurd> oh.
<absurd> haha. ya
<absurd> lol. i thought those were codenames for MSs new OS or
  something =]
<^CareBear> both freestyle and mira technologies will be
  release in the upcoming XP SP1
<absurd> so a game is built into the .NET system?
<^CareBear> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ehome/default.asp
<absurd> :)
<absurd> ugh. I wont be getting that. why did you mention it?
<^CareBear> freestyle = "interface" ontop of Windows XP
<absurd> good thing i use osX...
<^CareBear> mira = WindowsCE devices using wireless networking
  & remote desktop features
<absurd> ugh you cant be serious
<t3rmin4t0r> absurd: OS X ?, you are *really* needed for DotGNU
<absurd> i know
<tp> remote desktop features over wireless mediums ? sounds
  awful
<absurd> thats partially why i joined
<^CareBear> mira is pretty neat, but I don't think I'll waste
  bucks on any mira device until version 2
<t3rmin4t0r> we're really lacking anything outside GNU
<t3rmin4t0r> thanx
<absurd> im a java developer specifically because I use osX
  and GNU/linux
<^CareBear> tp, it's not the fastest technology right now
  yepp, but the second version will be better when new
  wireless techs are more widely available
<absurd> although most C/++ apps port very easily to osx.
  sometimes, you just need to recompile
<t3rmin4t0r> absurd: even more wonderful as I'll be working on
  JVM support for DotGNU
<absurd> wow
<t3rmin4t0r> absurd: GNU Darwin ?
<tp> ^CareBear, not only not the fastest... what do you do if
  transmission is interrupted (e.g. interference) ?
<absurd> hmm? thats osX
<absurd> but no, not GNU/darwin. i should try that on an i386
-vinge.openprojects.net:#dotgnu- kov (address@hidden
  .p001.terra.com.br) joined the channel
<^CareBear> tp, maybe go read some details on it?
-vinge.openprojects.net:#dotgnu- paul0 (address@hidden)
  joined the channel
<absurd> i guess osX IS GNU/darwin isnt it? it used the GNU
  dev tools such as gcc and gmake
<absurd> uses*
<t3rmin4t0r> anyway Portable.NET already disassembles .class
  files
-vinge.openprojects.net:#dotgnu- ircmonkey (address@hidden
  9.me2.uunet.de) joined the channel
<^CareBear> Darwin is BSD based
<absurd> ya
<t3rmin4t0r> (Exceptions,interfaces,...)
<absurd> and I have X-window running on my mac
<^CareBear> and BSD is the most used desktop OS behind
  Windows, it's more widely used than Linux on the desktop :)
<absurd> along with GTK+ and GIMP
<t3rmin4t0r> ^CareBear: XP uses BSD networking code , give it
  an nmap run ;)
<absurd> it was all quickly ported. im very happy.
<absurd> HAH
<absurd> i really dont like winXP. I tried the beta. ugh.
<^CareBear> used XP since beta. love it :)
<nb> Everyone: I really liked one thing that ^CareBear said a
  while back.
<^CareBear> and that's? :)
<t3rmin4t0r> Heavy load, I can't afford a big box
<nb> We need to move from the huge vision to a exactly-specifie
  d set of goals...
<^CareBear> lstrcmpi, Pastry looks awesome and phreaking
  advanced.. :)
<psiXaos> yeah that was what I liked also... the only one
<^CareBear> correct :)
<absurd> well, I guess Im spoiled. XP looks about 1/4 as good
  as OS X
<nb> for a useable web services framework that we can succeed
  in putting together in reasonable time.
<^CareBear> absurd, nothing looks as good as OS X :)
<absurd> and MS made IE and Office about twice as good on Mac
-vinge.openprojects.net:#dotgnu- erik_ (address@hidden
  net.se) left the channel
-vinge.openprojects.net:#dotgnu- erik_ (address@hidden
  net.se) joined the channel
<absurd> they are mildly stable and feature rich
<nb> By this I don't mean giving up the huge vision.
<^CareBear> Office v.X looks AWESOME .. wish it worked on XP :)
<absurd> LOL
<absurd> see? everyone, come and switch to OS X
-vinge.openprojects.net:#dotgnu- s0002435 (address@hidden
  166) joined the channel
<^CareBear> it really kicks Office XP ;)
<nb> But we need short term goals that we can reach reasonably
  quickly
<absurd> go out and buy a G4 or new iMAC
<t3rmin4t0r> nb: I think that we need to *split* the vision
<nb> and that result in a system that is useful for something.
<t3rmin4t0r> and hand each one a subset
<absurd> it needs broken down into parts
<^CareBear> nb, as most project managers knows, a project
  should never be longer than 3 months .. if possibly shorter
<absurd> look at GNU/linux. First the tools were, made, then
  kernel, etc.
<nymia> good one, start with tools first.
<^CareBear> nb, that doesn't mean the WHOLE project should be
  less than 3 months .. but you get my drift
<absurd> uhuh. my current project is exactly 3 months long
<absurd> but itll take about 6 months ofcourse
<nb> ^CareBear: unfortunately we don't have many full-time
  hackers yet.
<^CareBear> nymia, absurd, nb, the tools should be first
  priority right, there are currently alot of stuff you can
  use to build those tools upon
<t3rmin4t0r> yes, we are building the tools ie Compiler,Runtime
  ,Debugger
<absurd> i gotta get it done in a month =/
<^CareBear> you have all the XML stuff already done
<psiXaos> I think if GNU/Linux is to survive, every developer
  must put herself into a diet. But I see a lot of XPish
  people here. With tem GNU/Linux will never succeed enough...
<absurd> a diet?
<t3rmin4t0r> But I think fresh ideas come from all directions
<t3rmin4t0r> absurd: strictly on Free Software ;)
<absurd> oh. I already do that
<psiXaos> a diet by protesting .NET by not using XP and word
  and even Mac etc...
<nymia> not possible, too many choices around.
<t3rmin4t0r> I'll choose what I accept...but let everyone talk
<tp> psiXaos, not using word is diet ?
<absurd> the only thing thats not free that im using, is
  apples aqua inteface, and Internet Explorer on mac. because
  there are NO free alternatives
<^CareBear> dotGNU should focus on VRS, and WebServices hosted
  on the VRS .. which needs a good framework to run on (pnet)
<nymia> unless choice is taken away.
<nymia> pnet is critical to dotGNU.
<nb> ^CareBear: Sounds reasonable.
<absurd> yup
<t3rmin4t0r> VRS is the fileserver of DEE
<psiXaos> tp: yes. I mean by choosing sometimes what is not
  the best but what is with the vision..
<t3rmin4t0r> but the SEE work needs to be tackled seriously
<nb> t3rmin4t0r: Actually VRS is a DEE replacement.
<^CareBear> SEE is something that should be implemented in pnet
<nymia> it is nice to see pnet usable now.
<absurd> i was wondering about the SEE. how is it going?
<t3rmin4t0r> the more time Pnet evolves alone, the more
  difficult SEE becomes
<^CareBear> just as CAS is implemented in the .net framework
<bill_lance> VRS provides a means of projecting exposed
  services from  our owqn existing machines.
<nb> absurd: There's a little code from David Sugar, but it's
  not been worked on in a long time.
<^CareBear> right bill_lance
<absurd> can anyone draw a chart of how each service connects?
  Wee really need a virtual white board
<nb> SEE needs someone to either revive it or start over.
<absurd> lemme go download a java white board....just a sec
<^CareBear> doesn't pnet implemented some sort of CAS ( Code
  Access Security )
<t3rmin4t0r> nb: aah ! another horse race (remember Auth ?)
<t3rmin4t0r> I think the list would be a better place for this
  stuff
<bill_lance> We still have to deal with http services as well,
  thought .. another part of the ambiguity of 'Webservices'
<nb> t3rmin4t0r: In a way yes...
<nb> however DEE and VRS address different needs.
-vinge.openprojects.net:#dotgnu- artimus (address@hidden
  co.uk) joined the channel
<nb> DEE meets the needs of ASPs and their clients
<^CareBear> nb, doesn't pnet implemented DEE?
<t3rmin4t0r> x-virge: are you there ?
<nb> VRS meets the needs of everyone else.
<bill_lance> SEE might work in both, however
<^CareBear> hm...
<x-virge> t3rmin4t0r: yeah
<absurd> here we go! a whiteboard for IRC users. on FS
<absurd> SF*
<nb> bill_lance: yes
<t3rmin4t0r> DEE is a service ring (VRS is an *uncontrolled* ring)
<^CareBear> I'm having a hard time figuring out the logic of the way some of
the
  DotGNU stuff is done .. hehe
<absurd> we need it drawn out. seriously. can someone post an explaination on
  dotgnu.org?
<t3rmin4t0r> x-virge: what do you have to say about async RPC ?
<nb> ^CareBear: That's probably because it's not done yet :-)
<bill_lance> t3rmin4tOr:  Uncntrolled?  How do you mean?
-vinge.openprojects.net:#dotgnu- S11001001 (address@hidden) joined the channel
<t3rmin4t0r> nb: remember the list discuss ? about asynx soap
<^CareBear> nb, it should start out easy and get into details later .. not
creating
  total chaos and then structure it .. :)
<x-virge> t3rmin4t0r: what is there to say about it? :)  I'm here to answer
jabber
  questions, not spout off on RPC :)
<t3rmin4t0r> hi S11001001
<absurd> oooh. someone from jabber is here?
<bill_lance> ^CareBear: Logic?  You got to be kidding.  :)
<x-virge> yes
<S11001001> hello Daniel, Norbert, Gopal.V
<absurd> why isnt this chattathon on jabber?
<absurd> then we could have a friggin whiteboard!
<nb> S11001001: Hi :-)
<t3rmin4t0r> Jabber is IMHO the only practical way of Async RPC
*** Topic is '<S11001001:#dotgnu> things are heating up on [bizplan] :)'
*** Set by ChanServ on Wed Mar 06 18:53:11
<absurd> stop using acronyms! what is RPC?
<x-virge> absurd: I'll be around the whole weekend, anyone involved in this is
free
  to email or jabber me at: address@hidden -- I'll try to help answer any
  questions I can, but remember, I'm from the IM camp, not the RPC camp, so I
don't
  know everything ;)
<nb> sorry ... family duties again...
<S11001001> absurd: remote process communication
<t3rmin4t0r> absurd: Remoter Procedural Calls
<^CareBear> bill_lance, please tell me why SEE is a seperate thing from PNET?
<S11001001> t3rmin4t0r: oops :(
<nb> I'll be back in an hour or two. *wave*
<t3rmin4t0r> s/Remoter/Remote
<absurd> LOL
*** nb has quit IRC ("nb has no reason")
<absurd> so no one knows what it stands for?
<x-virge> t3rmin4t0r: I don't know of a better way, so I'd have to agree with
you
  on that ;)
<tp> absurd, it's "remote procedure calls" nothing else
<x-virge> tp's right
*** paul0 has quit IRC ("...tédio...")
<absurd> ok. thank you. and what does it do/what is it used for?
<S11001001> t3rmin4t0r: _scribe_?
<t3rmin4t0r> the suggestions were reply-by-email stuff ;)
<x-virge> t3rmin4t0r: soon you'll be able to store-forward RPC's over jabber
(like
  email)
*** S11001001 has quit IRC (Client Quit)
<tp> absurd, send call to server, server executes procedure, results are sent
back
<bill_lance> ^CareBear:  I believe that PNet has focused on the compile tools
and
  lib so far.  SEE is a delivery issue
<^CareBear> brb
<t3rmin4t0r> S11001001: don't know where the logs are
<tp> absurd, basically webservices are rpcs
<x-virge> t3rmin4t0r: and you can choose to store-forward or not... so if a
  component is online, you can make the call instantly. if it's offline, you
can
  choose if you want it to do its thing when it comes on or not
<t3rmin4t0r> on FreeDevelopers.net
<absurd> ahh. i see
<t3rmin4t0r> somewhere
<bill_lance> brb
*** S11001001 has joined #dotgnu
*** Disconnected
*** Attempting to rejoin...
*** Rejoined channel #dotgnu
<absurd> but you dont have to look at the data going between
  the server/client so it doesnt really matter what it looks
  like
<t3rmin4t0r> absurd: also transmission times
<fitzix> tp: Precisely - so, why couldn't "RDF-RPC" usage make
  something a webservice?
-vinge.openprojects.net:#dotgnu- ami (address@hidden
  htv.fi) joined the channel
<absurd> RDF?
<^CareBear> what about encryption of the data going from the
  clients?
<absurd> ssh
<t3rmin4t0r> absurd: Resource Document Format
<alexh> fitzix: it could, if someone designed it. No-one has.
  Alternatives at the moment consist of SOAP, XML-RPC, etc..
<fitzix> http://www.w3.org/RDF/
<absurd> interesting. ive never heard of it =/
<tp> fitzix, you're right, i myself don't think xml is an
  optimal format, too
<lstrcmpi> should i subscribe for the digest or..hmmm..not?
<S11001001> ok, I would like to point out that in the end, it
  doesn't matter whether or not something is in XML, or runs
  over HTTP, just as long as it works as well or better...I
  think this is what led us to the idea of Jabber being a IPC
  system. The point is we are looking for something that works
  well, not trying to limit ourselves to some technical
  specification like XML or HTTP.
<^CareBear> absurd, will all communcation in VRS use ssh?...
<t3rmin4t0r> lstrcmpi: The digest is confusing when there are
  lots of mails
-vinge.openprojects.net:#dotgnu- xenoneus (address@hidden
  .dialup.mindspring.com) joined the channel
<absurd> i dont know
<t3rmin4t0r> the "absurd," looks funny !
<fitzix> alexh: Then, that's great. :)  -- but the current
  "accepted definition of webservices" ties it directly to
  XML-RPC/SOAP standards.  I think that this is a conceptual
  oversight :)
<absurd> i would think so but based on the dotGNU site, no one
  has planeed outthe encryption scheme
<S11001001> lstrcmpi: I click the little threading button in
  my filter folder, and that works for me
<lstrcmpi> t3r: and how many emails do i get a day? i want to
  be able to read most of them..
<tp> ^CareBear, you mean ssl ? ssh is a shell
<absurd> i meant ssl
<absurd> oops. LOL
<^CareBear> tp, I know, I just thought it was weird and asked
  him
* artimus is back (gone 00:11:11)
<alexh> fitzix: it's not an oversight; it's a standardisation.
  Standards are useless if everyone's using different ones.
<absurd> ive been using ssh and sftp waay to much lately
<t3rmin4t0r> lstrcmpi: are you on GNU ?
<^CareBear> absurd, it won't use ssl even?
<lstrcmpi> S11001001: what do you mean? i use web-mail.
<t3rmin4t0r> oh !
<fitzix> alexh: Yes, but that's like saying that all networks
  must be ethernet
<alexh> fitzix: no, it's saying 'everything that wants to
  connect to my ethernet network needs to be ethernet'
<fitzix> alexh: we understand networks conceptually -- and we
  define them to have attributes
<absurd> ^CareBear: I dont know! no one has gotten that far
  yet. I would think that everything would use SSL. but it
  says on the site that they need some cryptographers to plan
  it out
<^CareBear> http://www.w3.org/Encryption/2001/ <- haven't
  looked much on this even though I should have
<alexh> fitzix: we also implement them :)
<t3rmin4t0r> getting back to XML -- I thought everybody used
  it becuase , everybody agreed upon it ?
<^CareBear> absurd, going SSL is a bad idea
<absurd> ok
<^CareBear> it has to use regular HTTP
<absurd> im not a cypher so I dont know much about encryption
  techniques
<t3rmin4t0r> How else do you propose Webservices ?
<alexh> t3rmin4t0r: everyone uses it because you can use a
  standard parser, I think :)
<fitzix> alexh: Yes, we do -- but that's another matter. :)
<absurd> Thats why I use XML!
<^CareBear> an p2p platform using anything other than HTTP &
  TCP port 80 doesn't have a right to be of public nature :)
<absurd> simply because I can easily turn it into a DOM tree.
<lstrcmpi> ^CareBear: is the number of nodes in Pastry
  constant?
<t3rmin4t0r> alexh: exactly, I've spent 12 sleepless days
  parsing the binary of a Java .class file into a tree
<tp> ^CareBear, what's wrong with https (port 443) ?
<^CareBear> lstrcmpi, I haven't got time to read on it yet,
  and all the p2p knowledge I got is pretty basic and it's
  mostly from the Terrarium project, which really got me to
  understand the whole p2p idea of hosting code on different
  peers
<absurd> haha. an XML dom took me about a week to do. Now i
  feel slow :(
<t3rmin4t0r> absurd: I don't use it in Java
<absurd> but it was my first time
<S11001001> ^CareBear: you have to acknowledge the limits of
  HTTP and the HTML interface.
<^CareBear> tp, you can't force the users to open incoming
  data on port 443
<lstrcmpi> ^CareBear: I'll have to send my email to the
  Rice,TX university dude then. ok. thanks.
<lstrcmpi> t3r: why were you doing that?
<^CareBear> S11001001, what does HTML have to do with any of
  this?
<tp> ^CareBear, if you force them to open 80 (dangerous enough
  on windows) why not 443 ?
<t3rmin4t0r> http://dotgnu.org/pnetlib-status/status2html.py
  it uses 3 lines to parse XML into a Dom
<absurd> java is the same way
<absurd> but first I had to learn what a DOM was =/
<^CareBear> tp, the VRS has to run on using HTTP & port 80, or
  else it won't have a chance in my view
<t3rmin4t0r> ^CareBear: only SSL servers need to open 443
<bill_lance> you should read http://www.ebuilt.com/fielding/pub
  s/dissertation/top.htm
<^CareBear> t3rmin4t0r, but the whole idea with VRS is that
  every peer is a server
<absurd> argh. thats what C# looks like?
<lstrcmpi> t3r: you converted a java class into xml?
<t3rmin4t0r> absurd: that's python !
<absurd> oh good
<bill_lance> and http://conveyor.com/RESTwiki/moin.cgi/FrontPag
  e  before you decide on the limits of http
<absurd> thank god
<t3rmin4t0r> lstrcmpi: no, I had to read it to dissasemble it
<bill_lance> http://www.ebuilt.com/fielding/pubs/dissertation/t
  op.htm
<absurd> HTTP 1.0 is pretty limiting
<lstrcmpi> t3r: you dissasembled it? huh?!
<absurd> btw, i still need to impliment the rest of HTTP1.0 on
  my proxy =/
<absurd> I need to impliment the POST method badly
<t3rmin4t0r> try http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/jilc
<tp> absurd, there's a version 1.1
<absurd> I know
<absurd> but not everthing is compatable yet
<absurd> i was looking at the specs and its waay more powerful
<tp> absurd, and never will ne, same with 1.0
<absurd> heh. yup. I know my proxy will probably not even be
  totally 1.0 compatable
<absurd> unless I can get someone to write it for me
<^CareBear> absurd, I don't know who's working on DotGNU or
  not in here, but the VRS is supposed to use HTTP & PORT 80
  right? ..
-vinge.openprojects.net:#dotgnu- psiXaos (address@hidden
  t.net.tr) joined the channel
<absurd> I have no idea, carebear
<t3rmin4t0r> ^CareBear: No need for port 80
<absurd> i dont know much about the VRS
<absurd> i dont even understand what it is for
<^CareBear> t3rmin4t0r, ?
<t3rmin4t0r> I prefer a port above 1024 for use in a multi
  user environ
<^CareBear> Virtual Remote Server
<t3rmin4t0r> in GNU only root can run a port below 1024
<absurd> i know that much!
<tp> t3rmin4tor, good point
<absurd> yup. notice how proxies run at port 8080...
<t3rmin4t0r> Also I use GNUtella which uses HTTP/Is P2P and
  runs in 6446
<absurd> ofcourse, mine is totally customizable..
<bill_lance> ^Carebear Yes, the VRS will use 80.  We may alkso
  use anoher for interCluster communication .. not sure yet
<^CareBear> http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/VRS/
<absurd> can someone explain VRS?
<bill_lance> absurd:  http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/VRS/index
  .html
<lstrcmpi> bill_lance: look here, this is something similiar
  to what i'm talking about; http://research.microsoft.com/sn/f
  arsite/overview.htm
<t3rmin4t0r> absurd: this is *absurd* (ROTFLAMO)
<absurd> OMG, I was trying to find something that does what
  VRS does about 2 months ago!
<alexh> tres amusant, t3rmin4t0r
<bill_lance> 1strcmpi  I know of them,  thanks :)
<^CareBear> lstrcmpi, it was a bad idea showing you an
  microsoft URL .. I guess you've sweat the whole Research
  site byt now? : )
<^CareBear> sweapt
<t3rmin4t0r> lstrcmpi: farsite was discussed on the list
<lstrcmpi> ^CareBear: i'm reading like a mad man... =)
<^CareBear> t3rmin4t0r, what about Pastry?  http://research.mic
  rosoft.com/~antr/Pastry/
<lstrcmpi> t3r: that is cool. i've subscribed to the vrs list
  this minute.
<absurd> Me and my friend want to create a single webserver
  between our remote servers. We wanted some redundancy and a
  sharing of bandwidth. VRS might have been useful
<bill_lance> ^CareBear:  The Echelon filter has already
  started, the the dog is bringint the tinfoil!
<^CareBear> t3rmin4t0r, have Terrarium been discussed on the
  list?
<t3rmin4t0r> lstrcmpi: this was on the address@hidden
  list
<lstrcmpi> damn i'm tired of reading - i want to code some.
<absurd> you can code with me...
<lstrcmpi> t3r: why?
<absurd> i need some help
-vinge.openprojects.net:#dotgnu- chillywilly (address@hidden
  .nwbl0.wi.voyager.net) joined the channel
<lstrcmpi> you're coding what, absurd?
<lstrcmpi> i got me a scheme test tomorrow. fun. =)
<^CareBear> t3rmin4t0r, have it?
<absurd> my internet filter. I am currently coding a part that
  calculates whether a certain set of potential keyphrases are
  in the document
-vinge.openprojects.net:#dotgnu- nb (address@hidden
  p-67.freesurf.ch) joined the channel
<absurd> its really really mind numbing
<lstrcmpi> hello nb.
<absurd> i have to write some crazy combinitorial algorithms
<t3rmin4t0r> lstrcmpi: that is the list of *all* developers
<S11001001> OK, I would like your attention for just one second. I apologise
for
  interrupting chatting, but this will be fun ;)
* absurd grumbles
<lstrcmpi> absurd <--- a big brother [?] =)
<^CareBear> absurd, I'm working on a pretty neat Web-Worms that scans the whole
net
  if you don't stop it :)   it's going to be used as an engine for a
  link-check-thing
<absurd> LOL I just want an opensource filter
<S11001001> now that nb is back, great start! Norbert Bollow, tell us a little
  about yourself ;)
<^CareBear> t3rmin4t0r, have Terrarium been discussed in the list?
<nb> What do you want to hear? ;-)
<t3rmin4t0r> ^CareBear: no , wait a minute while the intro finishes
<absurd> i figure, filtering sucks right? libraries buy filters from companies.
  They pay loads of money per year and they cannot control what it filters out.
  Mine is totally customizable and is low cost
<S11001001> nb: what you do in relation to the project, where you are,
position, etc
*** Topic is '<S11001001:#dotgnu> things are heating up on [bizplan] :)'
*** Set by ChanServ on Wed Mar 06 18:53:11
* t3rmin4t0r think I know nb's name ;)
<nb> Well, I'm 34yrs old, living in Swizterland with wife and 5 kids...
<tp> 5 kids, gratulation
<lstrcmpi> absurd: i remember the guy who developed carnivore saying back when
it
  was only scratch - "I just want a filter". =)
<absurd> whats with all these two letter nicks?
<^CareBear> t3rmin4t0r?...
*** Disconnected
*** Attempting to rejoin...
*** Rejoined channel #dotgnu
[...]
<nb> self-employed, consulting on electronic mailing lists (e.g. GNU Mailman)
and
  related things...
<absurd> carnivore?
<t3rmin4t0r> yes ?
<absurd> what is that?
<nb> absurd: it's not more absurd than your nick :-)
<absurd> lol
<t3rmin4t0r> absurd: wait while norbet introduces himself !
<absurd> fine. ill change nick to the full blown thing
-vinge.openprojects.net:#dotgnu- nrml (address@hidden) joined
  the channel
<lstrcmpi> carnivore - the FBI ultra-spying tool.
<nb> anyway...
<t3rmin4t0r> fire away Norbert
<fitzix> hey there Norbert
<fitzix> good to see you
<psiXaos> carnivore is also legal
<nb> back in June 2001 when Enzo brought up the idea of a "dotgnu" project...
*** Topic is '<S11001001:#dotgnu> things are heating up on [bizplan] :)'
*** Set by ChanServ on Wed Mar 06 18:53:11
<nb> Barry!!!
<lstrcmpi> yes, so will be absurd's project.
<sbp> hey fitzix
<fitzix> :)
<nb> I was among the first to get convinced that this is an important thing...
<t3rmin4t0r> BWT where is myrridian ?
<fitzix> ahh -- June, the good days...
<absurd> ill change my nick
*** absurd is now known as absurdhero
<nb> t3rmin4t0r: in Australia.
<fitzix> t3rmin4t0r: He's been VERY VERY busy lately
<psiXaos> absurdhero: target me. detect me! I am an 31337 h4x0r! I cracked 666
  hosts!....eheh
<absurdhero> is that better?
<^CareBear> lstrcmpi, thanks for the URL, never read on this before .. good
reading
  =)   (http://research.microsoft.com/sn/farsite/faq.htm)
<fitzix> hey sbp -- how are ya? -- lots of people in the channel today, eh?
<absurdhero> damn it. im not a censorship nut. I am anti-censorship infact. ive
  written a couple essays on it
<nb> So I though I'll help him get this project started
<absurdhero> but i love coding AI stuff. And well, censorship software requires
AI
<sbp> fitzix: heh, fine thanks. Overwhelmed by the people! the most you've ever
  had, surely
<t3rmin4t0r> ok, continue norbert
<tp> who is enzo ?
<nb> Barry aka Fitzix joined soon too.
<psiXaos> absurdhero: what kind of AI?
<absurdhero> its the one and only FREE Censorship program heh
<nb> tp: his nick is myrddian
<absurdhero> well, NLP
<fitzix> sbp: Yep
<nb> the one who suggested the original idea and name for this project
<t3rmin4t0r> Norbert -- was there from the beginning
<fitzix> He started the mailing lists
<fitzix> the web site...
<nb> So Enzo, Barry and I formed the original "coreteam".
<psiXaos> absurdhero: chatting bots :)
<absurdhero> I took the same approach the Alice bot took
<t3rmin4t0r> and is a member of DotGNU Steering Commitee
<fitzix> This IRC channel was originally founded by myself... damn, that was a
long
  time ago
<nb> Since the original discussions happened on the FreeDevelopers mailing
list...
<S11001001> Norbert also runs the current website
* t3rmin4t0r it's going to be fun reading irclogs
<psiXaos> absurdhero: A year ago I have merged darkbot with ALICE and used it
on
  linux channel it was fun
<absurdhero> hehe. ill submit them to the mailing list
<fitzix> brb - one sec
<nb> and none of us had direct contacts to GNU it started out as a
FreeDeveloeprs
  project.
<absurdhero> my filter uses a butt-load of XML definitions just like Alice
<sbp> wow, "Founder: ajmitch; Registered: 17 weeks 6 days (0h 40m 16s) ago"
  according to chanserv. You really should have registered it earlier!
<t3rmin4t0r> where in heaven or hell is ajmitch
<t3rmin4t0r> he's supposed to know where the irclogs are
<t3rmin4t0r> anyway, continue Norbert
<nb> For some reason, Tony Stanco, the man behind FreeDevelopers, wanted to
make
  David Sugar leader of the DotGNU project.
<nb> David Sugar is a great guy...
<absurdhero> anyone who wants to help me with my filtering project, goto
  sf.net/projects/jsense
<nb> not at all the person to come in and take control...
<nb> but a great person to have on the team.
<absurdhero> i would like to make it a dotGNU service if it is appropriate but
we
  will see
<nb> So then there were four.
*** nrml has quit IRC ("Running on RealityX IRC 2.0.0")
<nb> Then we did a press release...
<^CareBear> I want a distributed filesystem at our office :)
<nb> and Rhys showed up...
<absurdhero> the whole FreDevelopers.net thing looks kinda weird to me
* t3rmin4t0r the four saints of DotGNU
<fitzix> back
*** BadKarma has joined #dotgnu
<^CareBear> to wrap this up, who was the four saints t3rmin4t0r ? :)
<fitzix> sbp: I let it lapse and Ajmitch picked up the subscription -- I was
busy
  at the time
<nb> then it was decided to merge DotGNU (which was really mostly vaporware at
the
  time) and Rhys' Portable.NET.
<t3rmin4t0r> with Rhys ("The 5000 lines a week") Weatherly the project took off
<t3rmin4t0r> ^CareBear: Norbert,Enzo,Barry, & David
<psiXaos> what is rhys nick
<S11001001> psiXaos: rhys
<t3rmin4t0r> it's rhysw
<S11001001> t3rmin4t0r: oh
<psiXaos> tnx
<sbp> fitzix: yeah. My logs go back to (only) Tue Jul 17 21:34:31 2001, and the
  first line from a .GNU guy is you saying, "hey dude" to myrridian :-)
<t3rmin4t0r> norbert: you'r ceu
<t3rmin4t0r> sbp: you have logs ? (???????)
<fitzix> sbp: hehe - would that be from me? :)
<nb> ceu ??? what's that?
<sbp> yep
<t3rmin4t0r> ahem cue ;)
<t3rmin4t0r> sbp: today's too ?
<sbp> I dunno... my logs have been screwy lately. All of the old logs are fine,
but
  I doubt that any of the logs from like the past month will be of any use
<S11001001> Gopal.V, tell us about yourself
<t3rmin4t0r> I'm a CS student in India, Age 20
<absurdhero> there are a lot of CS students there. arent there?
<t3rmin4t0r> I was introduced to FreeDevelopers.NET by one of my seniors Arun.M
<fitzix> Currently, the DotGNU Steering Committee (Coreteam) is made up of nb,
  David, Enzo-Adrian, Rhys, Bradley Kunn, Arun, and myself
* tp is not cs student, but ee
<t3rmin4t0r> I lurked in DotGNU for 3 months
<absurdhero> An indian software engineeer emailed me about being interested in
my
  project
<t3rmin4t0r> Aug-Oct
<kefka> hmm.. what happened to newsforge...
<absurdhero> whats wrong?
<t3rmin4t0r> In november , Rhys asked for a small program
<kefka> totally new..
<t3rmin4t0r> called ildiff -- simple but lots of data structure
<t3rmin4t0r> I did it and became a contributer
<t3rmin4t0r> being sort of a dreamer , I had ideas and put them in words
* t3rmin4t0r thinks the mailing list will prove that
<t3rmin4t0r> In the end I ended up working on Portable.NET
<t3rmin4t0r> for two reasons -- I prefer C
<t3rmin4t0r> and that I've work on the JVM instructions before
<t3rmin4t0r> So here I am a DotGNU Portable.NET developer
<nb> after all chances are that coreteam can grow significantly over the next
  couple of months.
<t3rmin4t0r> also this meet was originally my idea
<nb> oops...
<t3rmin4t0r> I sort of wanted people to know about this
<S11001001> t3rmin4t0r: yeah, I found DG by pure luck
<nb> that was meant to be said privately...
<nb> but anyway... now that it's leaked out...
<nb> chances are that more people will be iunvited to join the coreteam list...
<psiXaos> nb: what was private
<absurdhero> i found DG because of the OSDN daily digest
<absurdhero> and i was instantly captivated
<nb> "after all chances are that coreteam can grow significantly over the
<nb>           next couple of months."
<absurdhero> so for the past 2 days, ive been reading and reading and reading
about
  dotGNU, etc
<t3rmin4t0r> Thanks to fitzix here , Grant Gross put in on OSDN
<absurdhero> and it still excites me
<FrePort> t3r: I frankly forget how I got from nowhere to FD to DotGNU. I think
it
  was a sublime teleporter of the Doug Adams variety.
<fitzix> :)
<nb> so if you want to become an insider, just be active in getting DotGNU
moving
  forward and egttingorganised etc :-)
End of #dotgnu buffer    Sat Mar 16 20:26:04 2002