Re: [DotGNU]dotGNU vs .NET A complete solution?

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]dotGNU vs .NET A complete solution?
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 06:14:32 +0100

Brandon Bremen <address@hidden> wrote:

> I received an advertisement for VisualStudio.NET from Microsoft today.
> It made me think about what the Free Software community is doing to
> compete with the VS IDE.  Does anyone know of an alternative to Visual
> Studio in the GNU world?

Mike Krüger <address@hidden> has such a development
project, it's called SharpDevelop.  I would encourage you to
hook up with him.

SharpDevelop can't officially become part of DotGNU yet because
pnet is not quite mature enough yet to allow us to use
SharpDevelop without any dependencies on Microsoft's proprietary
stuff.

This is yet another reason to move forward as quickly as
possible in pnet and pnetlib development.

> We really need a seamless development environment that has
> even half the features and ease of use of Microsoft's
> reasonably good product.

Agreed.  And as a matter of fact, I think that our goal should
be to make our IDE better than Microsoft's.

> If there is no such animal (or gnu ;), I am interested in
> organizing such a product. Does the name 'GNUcode' sound
> catchy?

I think it's a good name, but "SharpDevelop" is even better.

Greetings, Norbert.

--
A founder of the http://DotGNU.org project and Steering Committee member
Tel +41 1 972 20 59       Fax +41 1 972 20 69      http://thinkcoach.com