Re: [DotGNU]Where can I learn about DotGNU vs Mono

From: Daniel Carrera
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Where can I learn about DotGNU vs Mono
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 18:17:34 -0500 (EST)

Unfortunately you have touched on a bit of a "soft spot" for both teams.
There has been a great deal of intense dispute between the two groups.
More recently the two groups have reached a "cease fire" state.  It would
be wise to avoid stirring up the flames again.

Much of the dispute is over licensing.  Mono uses the X11 license,bDotGNU
uses the GPL license (with a linking exception).  I will leave you to form
you own opinions.

As for a techinical comparison, you should really look at the two project
websites.  Some highligths include:

1) Mono only seeks to replace the .NET *framework*.  DotGNU seeks to
replace all of .NET

2) Mono's compiler is written in C#, DotGNU's in C.

Notice that I have avoided expressing personal opinions to avoid flames.
I ask your same question a while back and I almost reignited the flame war
by mistake.

Best,
Daniel.