Re: [DotGNU]Interesting interface idea.

From: Dave Sherohman
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Interesting interface idea.
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 09:15:06 -0500

On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 07:13:59AM -0400, Barry Fitzgerald wrote:
> Also, there's GNUStep (URI anyone?) and AfterStep
> - both fine Free Software X window managers that act similarly to what
> you describe here.

GNUstep (http://gnustep.org/) appears to be a desktop environment,
along the lines of GNOME or KDE, rather than a window manager per se.

Also from the same family is my preferred wm, Window Maker
(http://www.windowmaker.org/), which was "originally designed to provide
integration support for the GNUstep Desktop Environment", but now also
supports the GNOME and KDE environments.  Definitely worth taking a look
at if you prefer NeXT-style GUIs over yet-another-Win95-clone.

Finally, if you're within the Redmond Thralldom and can't get at a
system running X, there's LiteStep (FAQ at
http://lsfaq.shellfront.org/), a shell replacement for MS Win9x/NT.
The FAQ says it added an XP section in 11/01, so it may also work
with 2k/XP.

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Tom Swiss