Re: [DotGNU](slashdot) MS Passport to be used as ID by Feds

From: Barry Fitzgerald
Subject: Re: [DotGNU](slashdot) MS Passport to be used as ID by Feds
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 16:50:12 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 18 Apr 2002, Barry Fitzgerald wrote:

> > This is just a speculation on Slashdot , original article in
> > "The Seattle Times".
> >
> > "Feds might use Microsoft product for online ID --  Brier Dudley"
> >
> > http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/134438173_passport18.html
> >
> > Might need to take a close look .
> >

> If this becomes a necessity, then I would be the first to decline.  To
> make this a strategy would be to sell the American people - it is a
> travesty that they should even consider outsourcing this - to microsoft of
> all companies.
>
> Canada may be looking pretty nice shortly...
>
>       -Barry

And - I have to add to this - under what strategy do they justify this?
Presumably, after Sept. 11th, we'd want a secure method to do this - yet
passport can be cracked with fairly little talent and even less code.
This resounds to a big "Huh?!" that they'd even consider this as an
option.  They seem to be giving the alternatives the cold shoulder as well
- saying they'll meet with the liberty alliance "at some point" - yet
giving Microsoft every ounce of time.

Perhaps marketshare got to them.  After all, 200 million fake passport
accounts can't be wrong, right? :)

        -Barry