Re: [DotGNU]DotGNU and ASML

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]DotGNU and ASML
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 09:04:22 +1000

Brian T Rice wrote:

> So, I am offering a port of ASML to the dot-gnu platform. I can accomplish
> an initial version using a program in the Maude language in just a month
> or so, but Maude has not yet been shifted to the GPL; this license shift
> is due in the fall.

Sounds interesting.  As long as all software involved
in implementing and using ASML is GPL-compatible then
we shouldn't have a problem with it.

Does Maude run natively on the host platform, or can
it run on top of a CLR?

Could you give us an example of what an ASML test might
look like and how it would integrate into a program
being tested?

> So here are my questions. I've checked out the DotGNU website, and have
> seen no mention of a counterpart to ASML or its role. Is there an interest
> in this kind of thing? How much support would be needed (like what tools
> would you want it integrated into; ASML is used within M$ Word for
> example)?

Testing is one of the areas that needs a lot of work.
I've put together a couple of unit-testing frameworks,
for testing the runtime, compiler, and library.  These
frameworks are still in early days.

Note: I can only speak for DotGNU Portable.NET.  I am
not familiar with the testing requirements of other
DotGNU components.

> Keep in mind that I have used various
> specification languages before, but have not developed under Windows in a
> while, so I have to come up to speed on the specific issues.

Not having developed under Windows is fine with us. :-)
We do most of our development under GNU/Linux or other
Unix clones.