[DotGNU]Timothy's business ideas (was Re: Protection from legal...)

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: [DotGNU]Timothy's business ideas (was Re: Protection from legal...)
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 17:17:26 +0200

Timothy Rue <address@hidden> wrote:

> There is a business model that can work, at least as a starting point for
> designing a custom, fit like a glove business plan for GPL and even open
> source. But here it should be a focus with GPL consistancy.

You've certainly arounsed my interest now :-)

> But there are a few things GNU people need to understand. First is that
> the idea of stocks is not in the picture.

I agree 100%.

> Stocks are not a good idea except for those who play the manipulations
> and that is not consistant with the GPL spirit.

I think that the concept of companies raising capital through
the emission of shares is quite ok in those areas of business
where capital is a major production factor.

In those areas of course the value of the shares will be backed
up by assets that are not so easily manipulated.

For free software businesses, we certainly need to find a
different way.

> The next thing you need to understand is the importance of making
> development easy enough that allows the typical end user to do some degree
> of development for themselves. This has multi-faceted importance and is
> integrated into, and key to, making the business plan/model work and work
> real well.

Sounds great.

I will certainly support everything that goes in this direction.

I have doubts however on how achieveable this goal is.

> I really do believe in rewarding people for the good and productive things
> they do, and to do so without bias of being a consumer or a producer. for
> they are both part of the same cycle all of us are in.

Ok, please work out a specific proposal and post it for
discussion on the bizplan list.

Greetings, Norbert.

--
Founder & Steering Committee member of http://www.gnu.org/projects/dotgnu/
Norbert Bollow, Weidlistr.18, CH-8624 Gruet     (near Zurich, Switzerland)